He lit the match and tossed it onto the logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
He lit the match and tossed it onto the logs. The fireplace came to life with a whoosh.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you'll find that tossing a match onto logs isn't likely to bring a fireplace to life with a whoosh. You usually have to hold the match under the kindling and give it some encouragement. Then the fire will eventually get going — but not with a whoosh.

Try it!

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think you'll find that tossing a match onto logs isn't likely to bring a fireplace to life with a whoosh. You usually have to hold the match under the kindling and give it some encouragement. Then the fire will eventually get going — but not with a whoosh.

Try it!

Actually, a whoosh happens when I pour alcohol on the logs before a toss the match onto them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He lit [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a match and tossed it onto the logs. The fireplace came to life with a whoosh.

Actually, a whoosh happens when I pour alcohol on the logs before [STRIKE]a toss[/STRIKE] tossing [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a match onto them.

Note my amendments above. Unless the specific match has been mentioned already, we use "light a match".

Safety note: it's a very bad idea to put alcohol anywhere and then throw a match on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.