Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to express the idea that someone became really jealous after seeing a photo.

Does this work? Are there better ways?

John was browsing Facebook when he came across a photo of Patrick's take recently. It showed him on the Malibu beach with Julia, a girl John chased in college but could never get. His stomach clenched with jealousy. In another life, a nicer/luckier one, Julia could have been his wife.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm trying to express the idea that someone became really jealous after seeing a photo.

Does this work? Are there better ways?

John was browsing Facebook when he came across a photo that Patrick had taken recently. It showed him on a Malibu beach with Julia, a girl John chased in college but could never get. His stomach clenched with jealousy. In another life, a nicer, luckier one, Julia would have been his wife.

It's good.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never been to Malibu so I don't know how many beaches there are. If there's more than one, Tarheel's "a Malibu beach" is correct. If there's just one, you can say "on the beach in Malibu".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Malibu has a string of beaches, so Al is correct. Malibu Beach is also used to mean the entire string, so you're right, too.

A win-win!

Status
Not open for further replies.