Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Julia went to the bathroom to apply make-up, trying to get on with the rest of the day, but she felt a strange indifference. The day she found out her husband was cheating on him had changed her. She wondered if this was bound to happen, if she was cursed, doomed to have this life all along. On some level she blamed herself but her desire to get back at him overpowered all other thoughts and emotions racing through her head. For a few months, she pretended she didn't know. All is well darling. What a fantastic act. But dark urges lurked in her subconscious. Could she work up the courage to run over him with her minivan? Was he even worth it? Grab what you like in this house, and get out of this life. Be smart, be powerful. Get even. A thousand conflicting emotions roiled inside her head. Finally, she decided to let it all go and build a new life. Could she get rid of the negative thoughts lurking outside her consciousness?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct and natural?

Julia went to the bathroom to apply make-up, trying to get on with the rest of the day, but she felt a strange indifference. The day she found out her husband was cheating on him had changed her. She wondered if this was bound to happen, if she was cursed, doomed to have this life all along. On some level she blamed herself, but her desire to get back at him overpowered all other thoughts and emotions racing through her head. For a few months, she pretended she didn't know. All is well, darling. What a fantastic act. But dark urges lurked in her subconscious. Could she work up the courage to run over him with her minivan? Was he even worth it? Grab what you like in this house, and get out of this life. Be smart, be powerful. Get even. A thousand conflicting emotions roiled inside her head. Finally, she decided to let it all go and build a new life. Could she get rid of the negative thoughts lurking outside her consciousness?
Negative is too wonky. That's the first thing I'd change.

More generally, you're using a lot of words for a simple situation. So I'd prune ruthlessly. Or as they say in Hollywood, cut to the chase.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Negative is too wonky. That's the first thing I'd change.

More generally, you're using a lot of words for a simple situation. So I'd prune ruthlessly. Or as they say in Hollywood, cut to the chase.

Honestly, I was practicing and I was aware of that and I thought Charlie might say that! For example, with doomed and cursed I was fully aware one of them is redundant but I wanted put both of them to make sure they are both correct. So later if I needed to replace one with the other, I would have the option.

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this better?

The day she found out her husband was cheating on him had changed her. She wondered if this was bound to happen, if she was cursed to have this life all along. On some level she blamed herself, but her desire to get back at him overpowered all other emotions racing through her head. For a few months, she pretended she didn't know. All is well, darling. What a fantastic act. But dark urges lurked in her subconscious. Could she work up the courage to run over him with her minivan? Was he even worth it? Grab what you like in this house, and get out of this life. Be smart, be powerful. Get even. A thousand conflicting emotions roiled inside her head. Finally, she decided to let it all go and build a new life. Could she get rid of the gloomy thoughts lurking outside her consciousness?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, a strange indifference to what? Two, you said she discovered her husband was cheating on him. Who does "him" refer to?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What three word sentence deserves an exclamation mark?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Finally, she decided to let it all go and build a new life for herself.

Thoughts lurk?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He was cheating on her.