Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I was answering one of the questions about "mood" and I am not sure "cloudy days" are correct and whether or not "that" is required in sentence #2 and "often" in sentence #3 after "more".

1. "In cloudy days, we have bad mood more, and we are feeling that we want to be in bed all day."

2. "When it's cloudy, we are in a bad mood more often, and we feel (that) we want to be in bed all day."

3. "When it's cloudy, we are in a bad mood more (often), and we feel as if we want to be in bed all day."

http://iteslj.org/questions/

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In your previous thread, I clearly changed "In sunny days" to "On sunny days". Did you not notice? I can only you assume that you didn't because you have used "In cloudy days" here.

You are missing at least one comma in each sentence. (There are other errors but fix those first.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was answering one of the questions about "mood" and I am not sure "cloudy days" [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is correct and whether or not "that" is required in sentence #2 and "often" in sentence #3 after "more".
See above. The quoted phrase is a single item of text.

Which questions are you referring to? Do you mean you were answering a question about mood?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In your previous thread, I clearly changed "In sunny days" to "On sunny days". Did you not notice? I can only you assume that you didn't because you have used "In cloudy days" here.

You are missing at least one comma in each sentence. (There are other errors but fix those first.)

I added them but I am not sure I added them correctly.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was answering one of the questions about "mood," and I am not sure "cloudy days" is correct and whether or not "that" is required in sentence #2

The word that is not required after feeling. It means the same thing with or without it.

and "often" in sentence #3 after "more".

In that context, it is necessary to use often after more: We are in a bad mood more often.

1. "On cloudy days, we're often in a bad mood and want to stay in bed all day."

2. "When it's cloudy, we are in a bad mood more often, and we want to stay in bed all day."

3. "When it's cloudy, we are often in a bad mood and want to stay in bed all day."
Hi, Rachel!

I've made your sentences more natural.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hi, Rachel!

I've made your sentences more natural.

I noticed that you left a comma before "and" in places where it is used with "we". Could you please explain why? I am talking about the comma before "and" in sentence #2 .

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I noticed that you left a comma before "and" in places where it is used with "we". Could you please explain why? I am talking about the comma before "and" in sentence #2 .

It's not needed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is only one comma required in each sentence. In sentence 1, it goes after "days". In sentences 2 and 3, it goes after "cloudy".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
There is only one comma required in each sentence. In sentence 1, it goes after "days". In sentences 2 and 3, it goes after "cloudy".

Is it wrong to use "feel like," "feel as if," and "feel as though"?
"When it's cloudy, we are in a bad mood more often and we feel as if we want to be in bed all day."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it wrong to use "feel like," "feel as if," and "feel as though"?
"When it's cloudy, we are in a bad mood more often and we feel as if we want to be in bed all day."

They're all possible before "we want to ...". However, native speakers are more likely to say "... we feel like staying in bed all day".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
They're all possible before "we want to ...". However, native speakers are more likely to say "... we feel like staying in bed all day".

Is "feel like" followed by ing form only or it is correct to say "I feel like that I want to stay in bed"? "That" after "like" is probably wrong, but I am not sure.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can be sure it's wrong.

Rover_KE