Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
There is another instance of this 'should' from the same author, Paul Bowles (The sheltering Sky):
at the same time it was inevitable that she should regard the dream
as an omen.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a common usage.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It means would. It's kind of old-fashioned.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I don't think they mean the same thing. Would would express a conditional, while should expresses a subjunctive mood.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's a common usage.

Yes, right. This is not the same use of should as in the example in the other post about twilight.

Yes, I agree it's very similar to would. It's characteristic of British English to use should rather than would here, which I suppose might make it sound rather old-fashioned to American ears.

This use of should is particularly common I'd say in subordinate that-clauses, of the pattern: It + BE + [adjective] + that-clause

In Michael Swan's PEU entry on this, he says that it expresses "personal judgements and reactions, especially to facts which are already known or have already been mentioned".

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
Yes, right. This is not the same use of should as in the example in the other post about twilight.

Yes, I agree it's very similar to would. It's characteristic of British English to use should rather than would here, which I suppose might make it sound rather old-fashioned to American ears.

This use of should is particularly common I'd say in subordinate that-clauses, of the pattern: It + BE + [adjective] + that-clause

In Michael Swan's PEU entry on this, he says that it expresses "personal judgements and reactions, especially to facts which are already known or have already been mentioned".
I do not think that should and would are interchangeable in this kind of sentences. For instance, it is correct to say: 'I was surprised that she should have behaved thus', but would would be incorrect here .

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do not think that should and would are interchangeable in this kind of sentences. For instance, it is correct to say: 'I was surprised that she should have behaved thus', but would would be incorrect here .
It works fine for me either way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here is another instance of this 'should' from the same author, Paul Bowles (The sheltering Sky):

"At the same time, it was inevitable that she should regard the dream as an omen."

Please note how your post should have looked. Leave an empty line on either side of a quote, and enclose the quote in quotation marks.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Can you explain your reasons for this, please?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's because would is conditional

I don't think that's right. Do you mean that in I was surprised that she would have behaved thus, there is a sense of conditionality? What exactly is conditional?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
I don't think that's right. Do you mean that in I was surprised that she would have behaved thus, there is a sense of conditionality? What exactly is conditional?
I think that the sentence I was surprised that she would have behaved thus is either grammatically incorrect, or 'would' here signifies a verb of volition, that is, I am surprised at her having wanted to behave like that. Still, I am not sure if would is correct here, though it may be uses erroneously by the people.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that the sentence I was surprised that she would have behaved thus is either grammatically incorrect,

It's grammatical formal speech.

or 'would' here signifies a verb of volition, that is, I am surprised at her having wanted to behave like that.

It's not saying that she would want to do it. It's that she would do it.

Still, I am not sure if would is correct here,

It's fine.

though it may be used erroneously by some people.
All words are used erroneously sometimes.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might be thinking of should in the sense of ought to or is obliged to or is expected to.

That's not how it's being used there.

Status
Not open for further replies.