rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please find grammatical errors in the following paragraph?

I have scanned thousands of visiting cards of my boss using one mobile application. Now, within seconds, he can search his visiting card on his mobile phone. Also I am in the process of making the secretariat of my boss paperless. Under this initiative, I have destroyed all the unnecessary papers after taking permission from my boss and scanned rest of the important papers. Taking the help of an IT person, I have kept those scanned papers in the IT server of my office. Now, my boss can see those papers on his laptop also. I have stopped getting all the hard copies of the magazine. In stead, we have subscribed those magazines online.(I am feeling difficulty in making grammatically correct sentence that I have underlined)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please [STRIKE]find[/STRIKE] correct any grammatical errors in the following paragraph?

Using a mobile application, I have scanned thousands of visiting cards [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] that people have given my boss. [STRIKE]using one mobile application.[/STRIKE]

Now, within seconds, he can search all his visiting cards on his mobile phone.

Also, I am in the process of making [STRIKE]the secretariat of my boss[/STRIKE] our office/department paperless.

[STRIKE]Under this initiative,[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] destroyed all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] unnecessary papers, after [STRIKE]taking[/STRIKE] getting [STRIKE]permission from[/STRIKE] my boss's permission, and scanned the rest of the important papers.

[STRIKE]Taking[/STRIKE] With the help of an IT person, I have [STRIKE]kept[/STRIKE] stored those scanned papers [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the [STRIKE]IT[/STRIKE] office server. [STRIKE]of my office.[/STRIKE]

Now no comma here my boss can see those papers on his laptop. [STRIKE]also.[/STRIKE]

I have [STRIKE]stopped getting all the[/STRIKE] unsubscribed from the hard copies of the magazine.

[STRIKE]In stead[/STRIKE] Instead, we have subscribed to those magazines online.

(I am [STRIKE]feeling[/STRIKE] having difficulty in making the final sentence grammatically correct.) [STRIKE]sentence that I have underlined)[/STRIKE]

Please note my corrections above. I have put each sentence on its own line to make reading it easier for you. The first refers to just one magazine. The second refers to multiple magazines. Which one did you mean?

Look at the words I have marked in blue.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I meant to say multiple magazines. Then, I think, first sentence should be I have unsubscribed from the hard copies of the magazines.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was going to change it to "business cards", then I decided not to and planned to ask that very question in my notes, but then I forgot to do that too!!! "Visiting cards" is rather outdated.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So few use visiting/calling cards nowadays that it sounds Oscar Wilde to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant [STRIKE]to say[/STRIKE] multiple magazines. [STRIKE]Then,[/STRIKE] I think the first sentence should be "I have unsubscribed from the hard copies of the magazines."

That's better, but there's really no reason to use it at all. You could simply say "I have swapped all our magazine subscriptions over to the digital/online version" or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.