Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's very clear in "ruined". He reduces it to an alveolar stop in "ground". This is typical pronunciation and is perceived as a /d/ by native speakers.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It's very clear in "ruined". He reduces it to an alveolar stop in "ground". This is typical pronunciation and is perceived as a /d/ by native speakers.

When do native speakers reduce it to an alveolar stop? In which words?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When do native speakers reduce it to an alveolar stop? In which words?
There are too many forms of English to give a complete answer. It depends on who's talking. I would use a hard D in ground, but his way is fine, too.

It also depends on the other words in the sentence. For instance, if he were using the phrase ground up, the D would probably be more distinct.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And talking about baseball, a "ground ball" would have little to no actual "d" sound in my dialect.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I hear the /d/ very clearly in both words. In ground, it's delayed slightly but clearly audible as a little click of his tongue coming off his alveolar ridge. Can members really not hear that?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hear the /d/ very clearly in both words. In ground, it's delayed slightly but clearly audible as a little click of his tongue coming off his palate. Can members really not hear that?
I do now. I didn't listen quite long enough before. :)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Even Stewie in Family Guy pronounces the d in ruined, even though the gag is about his mispronouncing words.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even Stewie in Family Guy pronounces the d in ruined, even though the gag is about his mispronouncing words.
I just realized that you'll hear many people speaking my dialect say ruint. I'd call that an alternate past participle rather than a pronunciation quirk.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I just realized that you'll hear many people speaking my dialect say ruint. I'd call that an alternate past participle rather than a pronunciation quirk.

Is it the same with "bad"? I can't find the video. It would be difficult without it. A speaker of AmE hardly prounced the d in n "bad."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it the same with "bad"? I can't find the video. It would be difficult without it. A speaker of AmE hardly pronounced the d in n "bad."
It follows the usual pattern. If it's followed by certain consonants as in bad boy, bad manners, bad guy or bad juju, it reduces to what may be a barely-perceptible alveolar stop.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It follows the usual pattern. If it's followed by certain consonants as in bad boy, bad manners, bad guy or bad juju, it reduces to what may be a barely-perceptible alveolar stop.

I remember it wasn't followed by other words. The phrase was: "It's so bad."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I remember it wasn't followed by other words. The phrase was: "It's so bad."
A final /d/ without a following word also reduces to a stop in my dialect. We perceive it as a /d/; we notice if it's missing. Like the difference between can and can't, I can well imagine that a foreign ear could need a lot of training to be able to hear it.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
A final /d/ without a following word also reduces to a stop in my dialect. We perceive it as a /d/; we notice if it's missing. Like the difference between can and can't, I can well imagine that a foreign ear could need a lot of training to be able to hear it.

If I remember correctly in a video on YouTube about the difference between AmE and BrE pronunciation it was said that AmE speakers pronounce "can't" as "can". Is this the difference you mentioned, GoesStation?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I remember correctly in a video on YouTube about the difference between AmE and BrE pronunciation it was said that AmE speakers pronounce "can't" as "can". Is this the difference you mentioned, GoesStation?
The video was apparently about that area of pronunciation. Of course we don't pronounce "can't" as "can". If we did, we wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Can't ends in a stop; can doesn't. The difference is usually obvious to our ears, though you will sometimes hear someone ask "Did you say 'can' or 'can't?'"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I remember correctly in a video on YouTube about the difference between AmE and BrE pronunciation it was said that AmE speakers pronounce "can't" as "can". . . .
Indeed we don't! That would be as useful as pronouncing "yes" like "no"!

I'm sure your memory is correct. But the YouTube is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.