Jane searched her room to find her necklace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Jane searched her room to find her necklace. She then went to Bill's room, dropped to her knees, scanning his messy room. Bill opened the door, stood in the doorframe and looked at her trying to suppress his laughter. Jane sat up from her all fours position and stared at him. There was shame in her green gaze. "I didn't mean to intrude. I was desperate to find it," she said.

I know the underlined part doesn't work. How can I fix it?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct and natural?

Jane searched her room for her necklace. She then went to Bill's room, dropped to her knees, and scanned his messy floor. Bill opened the door, stood in the doorframe and looked at her trying to suppress his laughter. Jane sat up [STRIKE]from her all fours position[/STRIKE] and stared at him. There was shame in her [STRIKE]green[/STRIKE] gaze. "I didn't mean to intrude. I was desperate to find it," she said.

I know the underlined part doesn't work. How can I fix it?
I've pointed this out before. What's wrong with saying ". . . looked at her trying to suppress his laughter"?

(Hint: Who is trying to suppress his laughter?)

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I've pointed this out before. What's wrong with saying ". . . looked at her trying to suppress his laughter"?

(Hint: Who is trying to suppress his laughter?)

Yes you did and I learned it.

...stood in the doorframe and looked at her, trying to suppress his laughter.

But this is the same thread from before.

Status
Not open for further replies.