/d/ sounds like a /t/ at the end of a word ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
I often hear Native American speakers pronounce the words like: fund, and, end,.... with a /t/ sound at the end, rather than a /d/ sound. In other cases, people pronounce it with a /d/ sound, like in "destroyed". But, the use of a /t/ sound at the end of words that ends with "d" in spelling is very common (at least that's what it sounds to me). Is that a dialectal thing , or a meme, or something? I live in California USA , but my first language is not English, therefore I can't recognize the regional dialects in American English.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Native Americans are people descended from the people who inhabited North America before European colonists arrived here. I don't think that's who you have in mind.

No Americans convert final Ds into a /t/ sound.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

It depends on what surrounds the d. It's all about making our mouth parts' job of producing sounds easier.

Sometimes, the unvoicedness of an unvoiced consonant carries over to a d, changing it to a t, e.g., watched, washed, dismissed.

Is that what you're looking for?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might hear this in a word like "wrecked," with the -ed on the end. I would not expect to hear it on a word like "end."

This is likely a matter of dialect, maybe African American influenced.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
@GoesStation ^^ sorry, I misunderstood the word "Native Americans". What I mean is the people whose were born in the US, and their first language is American English.
And, I know that -ed suffix if follows an unvoiced consonant sound, such as /k/, /p/,/ch/,.... is pronounced with a /t/ sound.
Can you guys take a look at this Youtube clip that I've recently watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopLPVvfxbY&t=180s at 2:50 : " ...And you have as well the rubber tip on the end, which is the only thing....". The final 'd' in 'end' in this sentence sounds a lot like a /t/ to me. Is that really a /d/ sound ?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not related to any particular variety or dialect of English, but a general rule of pronunciation. There are three possible ways to pronounce the suffix -ed: one of those is a 't' sound. As Glizdka points out in post #3, this happens when the sound directly preceding is an unvoiced consonant, as in all of the following:

wrecked
missed
hoped
touched
kicked
laughed
finished

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The final 'd' in 'end' in this sentence sounds a lot like a /t/ to me. Is that really a /d/ sound ?

It does sound a bit like a 't', yes. For some reason, she mispronounces it. It should be a 'd'.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
I heard that many times, not a single case. For instance, in this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evDJtPFTp0&t=72s at 1:05 , "...I learned that I prefer to have my work on one big screen, and, the reason for this is....". I'm pretty sure that the final 'd' in 'and' here is a /t/ sound. Did I hear it right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
" ...And you have as well the rubber tip on the end, which is the only thing....". The final 'd' in 'end' in this sentence sounds a lot like a /t/ to me. Is that really a /d/ sound ?
It's very clearly a /d/. She even added a bit of a schwa sound after it, which makes it even clearer.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And here in this example too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evDJtPFTp0&t=72s at 1:05 , "...I learned that I prefer to have my work on one big screen, and, the reason for this is....". I'm pretty sure that the final 'd' in 'and' here is a /t/ sound. Is that right?
That one does sound almost like a /t/. She's trying to articulate clearly for the video and over-emphasized the /d/.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@GoesStation ^^ sorry, I misunderstood the word "Native Americans". What I mean is the people whose were born in the US, and their first language is American English.
And, I know that -ed suffix if follows an unvoiced consonant sound, such as /k/, /p/,/ch/,.... is pronounced with a /t/ sound.
Can you guys take a look at this Youtube clip that I've recently watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopLPVvfxbY&t=180s at 2:50 : " ...And you have as well the rubber tip on the end, which is the only thing....". The final 'd' in 'end' in this sentence sounds a lot like a /t/ to me. Is that really a /d/ sound ?

No, it's clearly a t sound, but I don't know why. It's not normal and you should not do this.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
No, it's clearly a t sound, but I don't know why. It's not normal and you should not do this.
Yes, it's strange, because it's different from what I learned. I took a bunch of English classes, and several ESL classes in a local college as well, but the teachers or the lessons never mentioned about this. Even now, google almost doesn't show any search results related to this , if type in the keywords: " d sounds like a t". As a English learner, it causes me confusion. When people say it this way, I still can understand them perfectly. But if I ever want to say it this way, I feel like they can perceive it as a different word, like 'ent'.
Here's another example from a youtube video I watched a couple of months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnz2gRPDzrA at 0:30 "...sending money to a friend...". Even clearer as a /t/ to me at 1:20 "...each transaction represents a packet of data that moves across a telecommunication network more than 10 million miles in length, and to end....". ( 'd' in 'world' at 0:05 " ..one of the most trusted and recognizable in the world..." sounds different than the above two, it's a /d/ sound to me).
I started to notice this kind of usage, like 3 years ago. These days, I often spot these. ^^ It looks like an accepted way.

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There's lots of things schools won't teach you. English is just a language. People speak it. People get sloppy when they speak. They take shortcuts. They make it easier for themselves. Reducing voiced consonants to unvoiced consonants is one of the things. Completely removing them is another. You live; you learn.

Coach Shane has a great YouTube channel if you're interested in this kind of stuff.

Here's a tip for you. Instead of giving us a link and saying at what minute/second the specific part you're talking about is, use the in-built timestamp feature.

Click the "SHARE" button next to the :up: (thumbs up) and :down: (thumbs down) buttons, tick "Start at", type in the exact minute/second you want your link to direct to, and click "COPY".

Your link should look like this: https://youtu.be/lnz2gRPDzrA?t=30

Or you can always just manually add ?t=[time in seconds] at the end of your link.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's another example from a youtube video I watched a couple of months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnz2gRPDzrA at 0:30 "...sending money to a friend...". Even clearer as a /t/ to me at 1:20 "...each transaction represents a packet of data that moves across a telecommunication network more than 10 million miles in length, and to end....".
I'm afraid I can't understand why those sound strange. The narrator is articulating extra carefully. She adds a bit of a breath after some final Ds. That makes the /d/ into something like a voiced D, a phoneme that doesn't normally exist in English. It's still a /d/ and perceived as such by native speakers. The one at :30 does edge into /t/ territory, The other one just sounds like a /d/ to me.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I heard that many times, not a single case. For instance, in this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evDJtPFTp0&t=72s at 1:05 , "...I learned that I prefer to have my work on one big screen, and, the reason for this is....". I'm pretty sure that the final 'd' in 'and' here is a /t/ sound. Did I hear it right?
The Ds in learned and and are very distinctly pronounced D.

In the video about the rolling machine, the audio is slightly muddy, so the Ds and Ts are too indistinct to judge.

In fact, one of the differences between American and British English is just the opposite: In many, many words, we turn Ts into Ds. For example, little is pronounced lidl, and bottom is pronounced bodm. We also completely swallow the T in some words. Cotton is co-n and written is ri-n.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.