Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there any difference between the following structures?

'What kind of 'book' do you read' vs 'What kind of 'books' do you read'?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd make it singular or plural and not mix them. "What kind of book . . . ." or "What kinds of books . . . ."

The first assumes you only like one kind book. The second assumes that you like more than one.

However, in ordinary conversation, I don't think either of your versions would bother anyone, and you'd get the same answer no matter what you make singular or plural.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both versions are correct and natural, but one uses singular book and the other uses plural books, so they can mean different things depending on context, and be used in different ways.

We're assuming the question is enquiring about someone's taste in books, in which case read means something like 'like to read', and books plural is appropriate because the enquiring is asking about books in general.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "book" only in the specific question "What type of book are you reading?", referring to one specific book that you know the person is in the process of reading.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The singular could, just about, be a way of asking whether someone reads actual books or e-books on a kindle, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.