Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Jack opened his eyes. A thirtyish woman was sleeping next to him, her dark hair sprawled across the pillow, a riot of loose strands. She rolled over and her unfocused and somewhat confused eyes met his. Her gaze drifted from Jack's eyes to the pale blue blinds. The winter morning was bleeding through holes in the curtains.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

Jack opened his eyes. A thirtyish-year-old woman was sleeping next to him, her dark hair sprawled across the pillow, a riot of loose strands. She rolled over and her unfocused and somewhat confused eyes met his. Her gaze drifted from Jack's eyes to the pale blue blinds. The winter morning was bleeding through holes in the curtains.

See above. I'd probably say "A woman of about thirty ...".

Look at the last two sentences. Does the window have blinds or curtains?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does the window have blinds or curtains?

I thought they are kind of the same. I googled and realized that is not the case. :-?

To avoid the repetition of "curtains", can I use drapes? If not, what word can I use? I mean I know I can use a pronoun, but can I also use a word?

Jack opened his eyes. A thirtyish woman was sleeping next to him, her dark hair sprawled across the pillow, a riot of loose strands. She rolled over and her unfocused and somewhat confused eyes met his. Her gaze drifted from Jack's eyes to the pale blue drapes. The winter morning was bleeding through holes in the curtains.

Status
Not open for further replies.