Correction of the Writing errors in this text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aysl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Turkey
let me know which and where writing errors have in this short text.
When I was studying at the university I worked very hard for passing my exams. I used to go to the main library for studying every evening after lessons At the weekends, I sometimes studied with a friend, Ali.
Ali was a hard-working student too, but he had to work partime for helping paying for his living expenses. His parents sent him an allowance every month, but it wasn't enough for living.
Ali worked nights in the local Chinese take-away on Saturdays, so he was always too tired for studying on Sunday mornings with me. He slept until late Sunday afternoon, but I used to get up at 10 a.m., go to the gym for keeping fit, then do a few hours studying at the library.

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please let me know which and where writing errors [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] occur in this short text.
When I was studying at the university, I worked very hard [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] at passing my exams. I used to go to the main library [STRIKE]for studying[/STRIKE] to study every evening after lessons. [STRIKE]At the[/STRIKE] On weekends, I sometimes studied with a friend, Ali.
Ali was a hard-working student too, but he had to work part time for help[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] paying [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] his living expenses. His parents sent him an allowance every month, but it wasn't enough for living.
Ali worked nights in the local Chinese take-away on Saturdays, so he was always too tired for studying on Sunday mornings with me. He slept until late Sunday afternoon, but I used to get up at 10 a.m., go to the gym for keeping fit, then do a few hours studying at the library.

Minor fixes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, it's "at weekends". The article is not required, but we don't use "on weekends", which is AmE.

Aysl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Turkey
In BrE, it's "at weekends". The article is not required, but we don't use "on weekends", which is AmE.

Do you have any corrections for this part, please? "Ali worked nights in the local Chinese take-away on Saturdays, so he was always too tired for studying on Sunday mornings with me. He slept until late Sunday afternoon, but I used to get up at 10 a.m., go to the gym for keeping fit, then do a few hours studying at the library."

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Here's how I'd write it:

Ali worked the Saturday nights at a local Chinese takeaway, so he was always too tired on Sunday mornings to study with me. He would sleep until late Sunday afternoon, but I would get up at 10 a.m., go to the gym to keep in good shape, then spend a few hours studying at the library.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Here's how I'd write it:

Ali worked the Saturday nights at a local Chinese takeaway, so he was always too tired on Sunday mornings to study with me. He would sleep until late Sunday afternoon, but I would get up at 10 a.m., go to the gym to keep in good shape, then spend a few hours studying at the library.

I am not sure about having "the" there. I would either delete it or use "on".

Also:
...he had to work part-time to help pay his living expenses...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
but he had to work part time for help[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] paying [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] his living
Is "help" a noun after correction?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you have any corrections for this part, please? "Ali worked Saturday nights at the local Chinese take-away [STRIKE]on Saturdays[/STRIKE], so he was always too tired to study with me on Sunday mornings [STRIKE]with me[/STRIKE]. He slept until late Sunday afternoon, but I used to get up at 10 a.m., go to the gym to keep fit, and then do a few hours of studying at the library."
There!

Status
Not open for further replies.