Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If "fishes" is used when we are talking about a variety of fish can I use it if I need to say I have different fish in my tank? For example, "I have ten fish in my tank" meaning of the same kind but "I have ten fishes in my tank " meaning they are all different.

I read that "fishes" is used in scientific contexts, but is the word used to refer to different fish only?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. Even if they're all different, we'd still say "I have ten fish in my tank". If you need to make it clear that they're not the same, say "I have ten different (species of) fish in my tank".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. Even if they're all different, we'd still say "I have ten fish in my tank". If you need to make it clear that they're not the same, say "I have ten different (species of) fish in my tank".

When "fishes" is used in scientific contexts, is the word used to refer to different fish only or to the fish of the same kind? In explanations I often read "fishes" is used in scientific texts but what does it exactly refer to?

Is "I have ten fishes in my tank" ungrammatical or unnatural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When "fishes" is used in scientific contexts, is the word used to refer to different fish only or to the fish of the same kind? In explanations I often read "fishes" is used in scientific texts but what does it exactly refer to?

Yes and yes.

Try searching for "fishes" and reading some of what you find. Come back and tell us your observations.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The word FISHES is only correct as a verb:

- When she fishes, she likes using live bait.

- He fishes for compliments whenever he publishes another book.

It is not a plural noun.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Many dictionaries give fishes as one possible plural of fish, for example, https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fish?q=fish_1

So "I have ten fish in my tank" means I have ten fish that are the same but it can also mean ten species.
"Fishes" is not normally used for a few fish of one type but this doesn't mean it's never used.

"I have ten fishes." They are different or the same.

In one of the explanations on the internet I read "It is non-standard (but quite common) to use "fishes" to mean multiple individual fish" If "individual" means the same then both "fishes" and "fish" are used to refer to fish of one type and to different types of fish too. However "fishes" it is not standard form to use to refer to the same fish but it's still used. Scientists use "fishes" to refer to different types of fish. They also use "fish" to refer to the different fish. And they also use "fishes" and "fish" to refer to both the same and different types of fish.

Is each statement true? Do I understand correctly?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I recommend that students use 'fish' as the plural. It will always be right.

Even on the odd occasion when some reader will think "I'd have said 'fishes' there", it won't be wrong.

Life's too short ...

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes and yes.

Try searching for "fishes" and reading some of what you find. Come back and tell us your observations.

Sorry I wanted to make sure I understand you. Did you say "yes" to both these questions When "fishes" is used in scientific contexts, is the word used to refer to different fish only or to the fish of the same kind?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry I wanted to make sure I understand you. Did you say "yes" to both these questions? 'When "fishes" is used in scientific contexts, is the word used to refer to different fish only or to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] fish of the same kind?'
No. I was answering these questions: 'Is "I have ten fishes in my tank" ungrammatical or unnatural?'

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to OAD "Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish."
If the older form in Modern English is used to refer to different fish, was the older form also used to refer to different kinds of fish in Old English, or to the same fish too?
Let's not beat a dead fish. Here's what you need to know:

- The plural of fish is fish.

- Sometimes people say fishes instead.

- That was more common a long time ago.

- The Old English word for fish isn't fish. It's fisc. You can learn more HERE.

- Don't call them fishes. Call them fish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.