Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
One of my students wrote (the topic was "Gadgets in my Dream Home").

I would like my home to be cozy in the first place, so I would not add too many gadgets into it.

When I was marking his work, I felt like he shouldn't have used "in the first place" in the given context. I think it's better to put it this way:
I would like my home to be first and foremost cozy, so I would not add too many gadgets into it.

What do you think?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's hard to say with certainty whether he/she meant in the first place or first and foremost.

I think it's much more likely they meant in the first place, because the idea is that there shouldn't be a need to make changes. In cases where in the first place is used, preceding context is usually relevant. What's the sentence directly prior?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's hard to say with certainty whether he/she meant in the first place or first and foremost.

I think it's much more likely they meant in the first place, because the idea is that there shouldn't be a need to make changes. In cases where in the first place is used, preceding context is usually relevant. What's the sentence directly prior?

Is there any difference in meaning? I thought to use 'in the first place" is just wrong (unnatural) in the given context. I can't find the essay at the moment to demostrate the context, but I remember exactly what the student meant - she meant she wouldn't like her home to be crammed with various gadgets because this could make it look less homey, so "the most important characteristic of her home" should be cosiness. I thought we can use "in the first place" only when giving a list of ideas ("In the first place", "Secondly," etc). If it is possible to say both "I want my home to be cosy in the first place (= before all other characteristics)" and "I want my home to be first and foremost cosy (= before all other characteristics)", then I do not see any difference at all between the two sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use "in the first place" in that context at all. "First and foremost" makes perfect sense, to indicate that the most important thing is that the flat is cosy and the writer thinks that adding a lot of gadgets would spoil that feeling.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, so it does seem that she means first and foremost, then.

You've misunderstood the meaning/use of the phrase in the first place, by the way. It's very different from first and foremost.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Okay, so it does seem that she means first and foremost, then.

You've misunderstood the meaning/use of the phrase in the first place, by the way. It's very different from first and foremost.

Thanks for clarifying it. It is not that I didn't understand the meaning of "in the first place", it was more about whether it is possible to use "in the first place" with the same meaning as "first and foremost". Now I see it is not possible, so I corrected the student's mistake correctly. :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I thought we can use "in the first place" only when giving a list of ideas ("In the first place", "Secondly," etc). If it is possible to say both "I want my home to be cosy in the first place (= before all other characteristics)" and "I want my home to be first and foremost cosy (= before all other characteristics)", then I do not see any difference at all between the two sentences.

I think you do in fact misunderstand it. You can't use in the first place for either of the above two ways. The first you're confusing with first of all and the second you're confusing with above all and first and foremost. They're both very different.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think you do in fact misunderstand it. You can't use in the first place for either of the above two ways. The first you're confusing with first of all and the second you're confusing with above all and first and foremost. They're both very different.

Can't I use "in the first place" instead of "first of all"? To be honest, until recently I knew only one meaning of "in the first place" (="from the very beginning"). And then I came across one more:

2.As the first of a given set of points (e.g.,in an argument).Why am I quitting? Well, in the first place, I haven't been paid for overtime in nearly a year, and I just don't feel valued as an employee in general.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+the+first+place

Is the above dictionary entry wrong?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can't I use "in the first place" instead of "first of all"?

As I've made clear, I'd advise you not to.

To be honest, until recently I knew only one meaning of "in the first place" (="from the very beginning").

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

And then I came across one more:

2.As the first of a given set of points (e.g.,in an argument).Why am I quitting? Well, in the first place, I haven't been paid for overtime in nearly a year, and I just don't feel valued as an employee in general.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+the+first+place

Is the above dictionary entry wrong?

No, it's not wrong, apparently, but I suggest you ignore it for the time being at least, as it's very rare and only really for a certain register. Just focus on entry number 1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We use "in the first place" when we're going to, or are likely to, list things. That's the case in the dictionary entry. It's another way of saying "For a start".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
First of all/above all else

Status
Not open for further replies.