Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "it" in the phrase "expressing the genes for it" refer to? Does it refer back to "the coolest thing"?

==================
"What I think is the coolest thing about these arsenic-respiring microbes existing today in the ocean is that they are expressing the genes for it in an environment that is fairly low in arsenic," says Saunders.

"It opens up the boundaries for where we could look for organisms that are respiring arsenic, in other arsenic-poor environments."

Source: Science Alert https://www.sciencealert.com/evidence-of-arsenic-breathing-microbes-found-off-the-coast-of-mexico

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
it = breathing arsenic (or rather, the ability to breathe arsenic)

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
it = breathing arsenic (or rather, the ability to breathe arsenic)

Yes. The logic is unambiguous. Did you simply follow the logic? Or did you simply follow the grammar to come to the conclusion?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes. The logic is unambiguous. Did you simply follow the logic? Or did you simply follow the grammar to come to the conclusion?

I understood the meaning, not the logic. I mean, 'logic' is not the right word. My understanding of the meaning comes from a range of different places, including the individual words used in the sentence (lexical meaning), the sentence as a semantic unit itself (sentence meaning), the syntactics of the sentence (grammar and reference), the relation of the sentence to the text (context), and my background knowledge of how the world works (schemata).

Status
Not open for further replies.