Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
These screenshots are from my book "Illustrated Phrasal Verbs" by Andrew Betsis and Lawrence Mamas. From the list of the verbs I don't understand which phrasal verbs should be used in sentences #45 and #47.

45. "You should have some idea of what you want to .....- the price range and if you want something new or something older which you can later do up."

47. "However you should still ... at all the different options on the market."

If I use "look into" in #47, I will have to use it twice. I already used it in #43: "When you look into buying a house..''

In #41 I used "bring about". "They brought me up to be independent, and bring about things for myself, through experience."

IMG_20210224_112546.jpgIMG_20210224_112530.jpg

This is the list of their phrasal verbs: look for, look after, look up, bring up, look around, look into, take after, do up, look back on, look over, find out, grow up, put up with, take out, bring about.
I provided the screenshots if they are necessary. But I typed each example I am not sure about.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
45 is look into.
47 is look around.
41 is find out.
43 is look into.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The clue in no 47 is that "at" is already there. That discounts all of the options except "look around".

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My shot: 45. "put up with". 47. "look around" at all the different options".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure now about my answer that 45 is look into. I now think the best answer is look for, though none of the answers fits really well, I don't think.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The clue in no 47 is that "at" is already there. That discounts all of the options except "look around".

So "look around at" are used together? When is it correct to add an additional preposition? I used "put up with" in #45.

Status
Not open for further replies.