Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe a situation when a person looks into the mirror and they have a fake smile.

How can I express it? How can I improve this?

Her days were characterized by lethargy. She didn't feel anything except a vague pain shooting up and down her right leg. A part of her was happy about a pain. At least she felt something in her desolate existence. The pain scorched through her body as she was washing her face in the bathroom. She stared into the mirror, her empty blue eyes gazing back. She had a fake smile, looking at her teeth for a few seconds. She was pushing herself to the limits of her sanity.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm trying to describe a situation when a person looks into the mirror and sees a fake smile.

How can I express it? How can I improve this?

Her days were characterized by lethargy. She didn't feel anything except a vague pain shooting up and down her right leg. A part of her was happy about a pain. At least she felt something in her desolate existence. The pain scorched through her body as she was washing her face in the bathroom. She stared into the mirror, her empty blue eyes gazing back. She had a fake smile, looking at her teeth for a few seconds. She was pushing herself to the limits of her sanity.
You just expressed it.

If she's alone, why does she have a fake smile?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You just expressed it.

If she's alone, why does she have a fake smile?

She is losing her mind. She has a fake smile to make herself feel better.

Would this work?

A fake smile flickered across her crumpled face.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She faked a smile.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
She faked a smile.

Is this correct?

Her days were characterized by lethargy. She didn't feel anything except a vague pain shooting up and down her right leg. A part of her was happy about the pain. At least she felt something in her desolate existence. The pain scorched through her body as she was washing her face in the bathroom. She stared into the mirror, her empty blue eyes gazing back. She faked a smile, looking at her teeth for a few seconds. She was pushing herself to the limits of her sanity. Am I at a point where I need to fake a smile to make myself feel better?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it makes sense to "fake" a smile when looking at her teeth in the mirror. Otherwise I would say a person faked a smile if she was pretending to be friendly.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Or put on a smile to make oneself look better in the mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.