rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want to improve my writing skills. To achieve this end, whatever I face in my everyday life, I try to express some of those situations in words. It is of great help to me, when someone edit my writings in this forum. In that serious, I am writing one more paragraph. I am looking forward to seeing it as edited.(I think that the underlined sentence is grammatically incorrect)

I take care of my boss travel related work, not only for him but also for his family. His family includes his wife, two children and two nannies to children. Some times, I find this work very tiresome as he travels frequently internationally as well as domestically. When I tell this thing to someone that I handle this type of task, that person may take it lightly and may think that it is easy to handle such type of tasks. To handle this type of work, one must have in-depth knowledge of how to complete visa related formalities and other travel related matters. This job demands that person should have lot of patience and should have a habit of not losing his nerves when travel program is to be arranged at a short notice. That person should also be good in time management. Searching the flights options, in first class or business class, for his visit to multiple countries in line with his meeting schedule is a tedious job. Filling in the forms takes lot of time when he travels along with his whole family and two nannies to children. Furthermore, a lot of supporting documents are also to be attached with the visa form that I also have to arrange. Getting visa for nannies is quite difficult, as embassies do not grant visa to nannies easily. Limit gets crossed, when he suddenly changes his travel program. If someone had been working in place of me, he would have lost his patience. I have to search again the flight options. Being rich, he does not mind paying heavy penalty that we have to pay as a change fee. When he reaches abroad, I have to arrange his meet and greet services at the airport and also a car at the airport to take him further at where his hotel was booked and his meetings were to be organized (any better phrase for this). To book this service, agency require me to inform them his travel program 24 hours in advance before he start his travel. As I told you, he keep changes his travel program, some time it gets difficult to arrange these services at a very short notice and I have a habit of not saying “No” to my boss that this could be done because of this reason.
Coordinating with those illiterate nannies and taking them to embassy is a frustrating task.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[h=2]My travel-related work[/h]
I want to improve my writing skills. To achieve this end, whatever I face in my everyday life, I try to express some of those situations in words. It is of great help to me, when someone edits
my writings in this forum. In that serious, I am writing one more paragraph. I am looking forward to seeing it as edited. [space] (I think that the underlined sentence is grammatically incorrect.)

I take care of my boss
's travel-related work, not only for him but also for his family. His family includes his wife, two children, and two nannies [STRIKE]to children[/STRIKE]. Sometimes, I find this work very tiresome, as he travels frequently internationally as well as domestically. When I tell [STRIKE]this thing to[/STRIKE] someone that I handle this type of task, that person may take it lightly and may think that it is easy to handle [STRIKE]such type of tasks[/STRIKE].

[paragraph break]

To handle this type of work, one must have in-depth knowledge of how to complete visa
-related formalities and other travel-related matters. This job demands that a person should have lot of patience and should have a habit of not losing his nerve when an itinerary is to be arranged at a short notice. That person should also be good at time management. Searching the flights options[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] in first class or business class[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] for his visits to multiple countries in line with his meeting schedule is a tedious job. Filling in the forms takes lot of time when he travels along with his whole family and two nannies [STRIKE]to children[/STRIKE].

paragraph break]

Furthermore, a lot of supporting documents
also need to be attached to the visa forms that I also have to arrange. Getting visas for nannies is quite difficult, as embassies do not grant visas to nannies easily. Deadlines get missed when he suddenly changes his plans.

[paragraph break]

Anyone else doing it would lose [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] patience. I have to search [STRIKE]again[/STRIKE] the flight options again. Being rich, he does not mind paying heavy penalties that we have to pay as a change fee. When he reaches another country, I have to arrange his meet-and-greet services at the airport and also a car at the airport to take him to where his hotel was booked and his meetings were happening. To book this service, agencies require me to inform them of his travel program 24 hours in advance [STRIKE]before he start his travel[/STRIKE]. As I told you, he keep changing his travel program. Sometimes it gets difficult to arrange these services at a very short notice, and I have a habit of not saying no to my boss, that this could not be done because of that reason. Coordinating with those illiterate nannies and taking them to embassies is also a frustrating task.
When building adjectives, it helps to use hyphens. It makes the meaning clearer.

Keep paragraphs separate. It also makes the meaning clearer.

Two nannies for just two kids? Wow. Rich, indeed!

You're a saint to put up with this guy.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi!

I thank you for editing the paragraph. He is rich indeed. Four PSOs always accompany him for his security.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say you "take care of" your boss's travel- related work it is not immediately clear what that means. Perhaps you could say you handle all the details including securing passports and visas, making travel arrangements such as buying airline tickets and other such things.

When you say it is tiresome I assume you meant tiring or exhausting. (You get paid, don't you?)

Paragraphs!

When I first saw that my reaction was "Oh my God!"

I would have asked you to repost that one paragraph at a time.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What does the underlined part mean?

I meant to say "in continuation of that"... or "In continuation of my posts in my previous threads" - where I wanted someone to edit my post".

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!

I thank you for editing the paragraph. He is rich indeed! Four PSOs always accompany him as security.

What's a PSO?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's only one paragraph if you think paragraphs should be extremely long.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
PSO stands for Personal Security Officer.
It's smart to avoid all but the most extremely obvious abreviations. I didn't know what PSO meant, either. Where I live it stands for Portland Symphony Orchestra.

I've never heard of a personal security officer. We usually say bodyguard. If it's the US president, we say Secret Service agent. Elvis Presley's bodyguards were called the Memphis Mafia.

I have a feeling your boss's bodyguards are mainly there to protect him from you!

Last edited:

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have a feeling your boss's bodyguards are mainly there to protect him from you!

I believe in peace and harmony. :). I think that it is a status symbol to have bodyguards.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds like he's in good hands!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant to say "in continuation of that"... or "In continuation of my posts in my previous threads" - where I wanted someone to edit my post".

I think you're mixing up the adjective "serious" with the noun "series".

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think you're mixing up the adjective "serious" with the noun "series".

Good catch. Like last time, I can't now replace "serious" with "series". Using phrase "good catch" for a person like you is right or wrong that I don't know. I don't want to sound as "casual". At this time, this is the only phrase that I know to compliment you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good catch. Like last time, I can't [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] replace "serious" with "series". I don't know if using the phrase "good catch" for a person like you is right or wrong. [STRIKE]that I don't know.[/STRIKE] I don't want to sound [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] no quotation marks here casual no quotation marks here. At this time, this is the only phrase that I know in order to compliment you.

Note my corrections above.

I don't know what you mean by "Like last time". You're right that "In that series" doesn't work either. You could have said something like "As with my previous threads, I would appreciate it if someone could edit/correct my post".

"Good catch" is a very good choice when you want to say that you're impressed that someone spotted an error.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rajan, you have a problem with word choice. Yes, emsr2d2 noticed that "serious" didn't fit there. (She is very very smart.) As I recall, I couldn't make sense of that, and I didn't know what you were referring to.

Every thread is a new conversation. You can't assume that everybody is up to date on all of your previous threads.

That's all for now.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tarheel, I wrote post number 14 keeping my mistake in mind. When emsr2d2 pointed out my mistake in her post number 5, I should have catched it immediately by being aware of it. Instead, I started explaining again about noun "series" while she was talking about the adjective "serious", which I had writen by mistake in my first post of this thread.

I am thankful to all the great members like you who keep this forum alive with valuable inputs.

I hope one day my grammar will also be as good as your grammar is, but I feel chances of it are remote.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel, I wrote post number 14 keeping my mistake in mind. When emsr2d2 pointed out my mistake in her post number 5, I should have caught it immediately by being aware of it. Instead, I explained again about the noun "series" while she was talking about the adjective "serious", which I had written by mistake in my first post of this thread.

I am thankful to all the great members like you who keep this forum alive with valuable input.

I hope one day my grammar will [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] be as good as yours, but I think the chances of that happening are remote.

I think fluency is the most important goal.

The word "catch" is one of those irregular verbs that doesn't follow the rules.

The word "input" is a noncount noun.

The sentence "I should have caught it immediately by being aware of it" is awkward at best. Try "I should have caught on quicker."

(I forget more grammar terms every day. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.