Talking to kick the door in

What does the phrase "kicked the door in" in the following sentence mean: "The military campaign we fought in 2003 effectively kicked the door in. " To me, it appearstomean "to make a dent". Am I correct ?

2. Junior Member
    English Teacher

Re: to kick the door in

In the U.S., "kicked the door in" usually describes an action by law enforcement officers. If a suspect doesn't respond to a knock on the door, and if the police think it necessary to gain immediate access to the house, apartment, or whatever, they kick the door in. Even though police now use rams for that purpose, it is still called "kicking the door in."

Without knowing the context, I'm guessing that the quote means that the military campaign of 2003 provided easy access for subsequent actions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: to kick the door in

Quote Originally Posted by rameshpahwa View Post
    What does the phrase "kicked the door in" in the following sentence mean: "The military campaign we fought in 2003 effectively kicked the door in. " To me, it appearstomean "to make a dent". Am I correct ?
    No. It means 'made a forced entry', and in this case I think it also means '... and made sure that further uninvited entries couldn't be prevented' (it depends which side of the door they kicked - whether they just forced it open or knocked it completely off its hinges - although I'm probably thinking of too literal a door here ).

b