Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm starting an English club for teenagers and it will last for two hours. I will divide this two hours into three different parts. The first part is about reading English together among those participants. I might pick some poems for them to read, for example. Then we will go to the second part. Today when I was introducing my English club to someone who's interested, I said to him "The first part of our English club is "Let's read together".

Is the italic sentence natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. You're talking about meetings or sessions, not the club (which is an organization).

Would you like to try a new sentence?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm starting an English club for teenagers, and sessions will last for two hours. I will divide these two hours into three different parts. The first part is about reading English together[STRIKE] among those participants[/STRIKE]. I might pick some poems for them to read, for example. Then we will go to the second part. Today when I was introducing my English club to someone who's interested, I said to him "The first part of our English club meetings is "Let's read together".

Is the italic sentence natural?
Sort of. It would be more natural to say, "The first part of each session is reading aloud together."

You might call the gatherings sessions, meetings, or workshops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Those teenagers are not very fluent English speakers. I don't think they can understand your sentence (Which is a good one) well. Is my new sentence easier to be understood?

The first part of our English club will be reading aloud together.

I used "our English club" to mean the "club for teenagers" and "will be" to mean "it will be started soon". Since each time the first part will always be "reading aloud together", I think the sentence is clear and simpler.

Please enlighten me.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Those teenagers are not very fluent English speakers. I don't think they can understand your sentence (Which is a good one) well. Is my new sentence easier to be understood?

The first part of our English club will be reading aloud together.

I used "our English club" to mean the "club for teenagers" and "will be" to mean "it will be started soon". Since each time the first part will always be "reading aloud together", I think the sentence is clear and simpler.

Please enlighten me.

Like Charlie said, your English club is not a session. Your meeting/gathering is.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try this: We'll begin each meeting by reading aloud together.

You need to get over the habit of referring to the meetings as the English club. They aren't.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right. If you use the word club when you mean meeting, it will mislead them about the word's meaning.

You can certainly use club as an adjective followed by a noun:

- club meeting
- club session
- club workshop

Does that make sense?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word meeting is a good word.

I would feel honored if you want to use some of my poems.

Status
Not open for further replies.