[General] looking for recommandation for american english collocations dictionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

sltwtr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
hi, I'm searching for my uncle for American English collocation dictionaries with as many example sentences as possible. it should cover nouns, verbs and adjectives. I prefer recommendations on dictionaries from Bantam, Thorndike Barnhart, Double Day, but any recommendation will be very much appriciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I'm searching for my uncle for American English collocation dictionaries with as many example sentences as possible. It should cover nouns, verbs and adjectives. I prefer recommendations on dictionaries from Bantam, Thorndike Barnhart, or Doubleday, but any recommendation will be very much appreciated.
A good basic dictionary is Webster's New World College Dictionary. That's the one I keep by my bed.

And there are bigger dictionaries, such as:

- Webster's Third New International Dictionary

- New Oxford American Dictionary

- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

You'll find more via Google.

Dictionary companies generally do their own publishing. Other publishers, like the ones you named, sell dictionaries, but they're not as good.

Last edited by a moderator:

sltwtr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
sorry for asking twice, but i couldn't find the relevent information regarding your recommandatioins. does this dictionaries contains collocations? my uncle main's request is dictionarries with collocations, including verb, noun, adjectives. thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry for asking twice, but I couldn't find the relevant information [STRIKE]regarding[/STRIKE] in your recommendations. [STRIKE]Does[/STRIKE] Do [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these dictionaries [STRIKE]contains[/STRIKE] contain collocations? My uncle main's request is for dictionaries with collocations, including verbs, nouns, adjectives. Thanks.

Please note my multiple corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with one appropriate quotation mark.

You might struggle to find a paper dictionary with collocations because it would take up too much space. Here's a website that might help him.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think some members might not be aware that sltwtr is looking for recommendations specifically for collocations dictionaries, not regular dictionaries.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any such dictionaries that are specifically for learners of American English, and to be honest, I'm surprised that any do exist. My advice would be to get one from a reputable publisher—the differences between American English and other varieties is negligible with respect to collocations.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think some members might not be aware that sltwtr is looking for recommendations specifically for collocations dictionaries, not regular dictionaries.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any such dictionaries that are specifically for learners of American English, and to be honest, I'm surprised that any do exist. My advice would be to get one from a reputable publisher—the differences between American English and other varieties is negligible with respect to collocations.
This member is. So before posting an answer, I looked for that information in the dictionaries' blurbs but couldn't find it. (I could drive around to bookstores to look, but I'm not that nice.)

So Sltwtr will have to hunt more deeply to get answers. If I were Sltwtr, I would simply contact the companies and ask.

My guess is that the big Webster's is most likely to. But that's all it is: a guess.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This member is. So before posting an answer, I looked for that information in the dictionaries' blurbs but couldn't find it.

I think you may misunderstand, Charlie. Regular dictionaries don't include collocations. We're talking about a specific type of dictionary that's very different from a normal dictionary that gives definitions of words.

Here's the one that we use in the school where I work: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/collocations/

As far as I'm aware, there are still several publishers who produce print copies, though like regular dictionaries, users are increasingly choosing to rely on online versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.