• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

looking for recommandation for american english collocations dictionaries

hi, I'm searching for my uncle for American English collocation dictionaries with as many example sentences as possible. it should cover nouns, verbs and adjectives. I prefer recommendations on dictionaries from Bantam, Thorndike Barnhart, Double Day, but any recommendation will be very much appriciated.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 01-Mar-2021 at 00:01. Reason: Remove formatting codes.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: looking for recommandation for american english collocations dictionaries

Quote Originally Posted by sltwtr View Post
    Hi, I'm searching for my uncle for American English collocation dictionaries with as many example sentences as possible. It should cover nouns, verbs and adjectives. I prefer recommendations on dictionaries from Bantam, Thorndike Barnhart, or Doubleday, but any recommendation will be very much appreciated.
    A good basic dictionary is Webster's New World College Dictionary. That's the one I keep by my bed.

And there are bigger dictionaries, such as:

- Webster's Third New International Dictionary

- New Oxford American Dictionary

- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

You'll find more via Google.

Dictionary companies generally do their own publishing. Other publishers, like the ones you named, sell dictionaries, but they're not as good.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 01-Mar-2021 at 12:24. Reason: Added two corrections in the quote
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

sltwtr is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

sorry for asking twice, but i couldn't find the relevent information regarding your recommandatioins. does this dictionaries contains collocations? my uncle main's request is dictionarries with collocations, including verb, noun, adjectives. thanks

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by sltwtr View Post
    Sorry for asking twice, but I couldn't find the relevant information regarding in your recommendations. Does Do this these dictionaries contains contain collocations? My uncle main's request is for dictionaries with collocations, including verbs, nouns, adjectives. Thanks.
    Please note my multiple corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - Always capitalise the word "I".
    - End every sentence with one appropriate quotation mark.

You might struggle to find a paper dictionary with collocations because it would take up too much space. Here's a website that might help him.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I think some members might not be aware that sltwtr is looking for recommendations specifically for collocations dictionaries, not regular dictionaries.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any such dictionaries that are specifically for learners of American English, and to be honest, I'm surprised that any do exist. My advice would be to get one from a reputable publisher—the differences between American English and other varieties is negligible with respect to collocations.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    I think some members might not be aware that sltwtr is looking for recommendations specifically for collocations dictionaries, not regular dictionaries.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any such dictionaries that are specifically for learners of American English, and to be honest, I'm surprised that any do exist. My advice would be to get one from a reputable publisher—the differences between American English and other varieties is negligible with respect to collocations.
    This member is. So before posting an answer, I looked for that information in the dictionaries' blurbs but couldn't find it. (I could drive around to bookstores to look, but I'm not that nice.)

So Sltwtr will have to hunt more deeply to get answers. If I were Sltwtr, I would simply contact the companies and ask.

My guess is that the big Webster's is most likely to. But that's all it is: a guess.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    This member is. So before posting an answer, I looked for that information in the dictionaries' blurbs but couldn't find it.
    I think you may misunderstand, Charlie. Regular dictionaries don't include collocations. We're talking about a specific type of dictionary that's very different from a normal dictionary that gives definitions of words.

Here's the one that we use in the school where I work: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari.../collocations/

As far as I'm aware, there are still several publishers who produce print copies, though like regular dictionaries, users are increasingly choosing to rely on online versions.