Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I would be grateful if the forum teacher could check my follow-up letter after a postdoc interview.

Thank you so much for arranging my interview which gave me a great chance to meet with the panel and know more about the Centre for****. I am so excited about this project and look forward to seeing how it goes anyway, specifically the Safe citizen challenge area aiming to understand the social practices and dynamics of safe citizenship and exploring how to Upskill communities. I have been told by Prof ** during the interview that the decision will be make within two days. I was wondering if I am still being considered for the position or not. I would be thankful if you could give me some feedback about the interview which might help me further.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What is a "postdoc interview"?

I am not sure if it is a normal practice for a job applicant to follow up with an employer straight after a job interview. It is not at least where I come from (being an employer myself). I thought one is only required to follow up when one has not received any news from the employer, but not immediately after. Otherwise, the ball is considered in the employer's court.

I would advise you to sort out your letter into paragraphs.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe "postdoc" is short for "postdoctoral degree".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Last edited:

shania117

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yea, it is

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Yea[/STRIKE] Yes, it is.

Note my corrections above. Please don't use non-standard English on the forum.

Was that meant to be a confirmation of the suggestion in post #3? If so, you should have clicked on "Reply with Quote" on post #3, so that the two were clearly connected.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would be grateful if the forum teacher could check my follow-up letter after a postdoc interview.

Thank you so much for arranging my interview, which gave me a great chance to meet with the panel and learn more about the Centre for****. I am [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] excited about this project, and I look forward to seeing how it develops. I am especially interested in the safe citizen challenge area aiming to understand the social practices and dynamics of safe citizenship and exploring how to Upskill communities. I was told by Prof ** during the interview that the decision will be make within two days. I was wondering if I am still being considered for the position or not. I would be thankful if you could give me some feedback about the interview which might help me further.

What does "Upskill" mean?

shania117

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does "Upskill" mean?
Upskills means educating people for a certain behavioral change. The term "Upskills communities" was used in project's agenda.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Upskills means educating people for a certain behavioral change. The term "Upskills communities" was used in the project's agenda.

OK.

shania117

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear teachers and members,
Unfortunately, my application was rejected. I am going to send another email to ask for rejection reasons to help me future. Would you please advice me how to respectfully ask for rejection reason?
Here is what I have prepared:
First, I want to apologize for not replying to your previous emails sent to my Hotmail, I am not regularly using Hotmail for my important communication. Second, I would to express my deepest gratitude for your kind feedback. However, I couldn’t follow if the rejection reason was because of something missing in my qualifications or the way I present myself. I was extremely excited about this position and to be honest, I had a high hope to get the position myself. It is disappointing having years of experience I lose the chance to be part of such a great project which I found extremely in-line with my research agenda and experiences, particularly the one out of the other four research challenges: the safe citizen challenge.
I wish all the best for you and your research group, and totally understand If you won't able to reply to this email.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unfortunately, my application was rejected. I am going to send another email to ask for rejection reasons to help me in the future. Would you please advise me how to respectfully ask for rejection reasons?
Here is what I have prepared:
First, I want to apologize for not replying to your previous emails sent to my Hotmail. I don't regularly use Hotmail for my important communications. Second, I would to express my deepest gratitude for your kind feedback. However, I couldn’t understand if the rejection reason was because of something missing in my qualifications or the way I presented myself. I was extremely excited about this position, and to be honest, I very hopeful of getting the position [STRIKE]myself[/STRIKE]. It is disappointing having years of experience I lose the chance to be part of such a great project which I found extremely in-line with my research agenda and experiences, particularly the one out of the other four research challenges: the safe citizen challenge.
I wish all the best for you and your research group, and totally understand If you won't able to reply to this email.

I don't know why you used so many words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As usual, there's no real need for such a communication but, if you must send it, try:

Dear [name of recipient]

Thank you for the opportunity to interview for the role of [job title] recently. I was disappointed not to be successful and I would appreciate any feedback on my application and interview that might help me in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you.

[Your name]

We've said it before and we'll say it again: KEEP IT SHORT! Before you send anything, ask yourself if sending it actually benefits you at all, whether it will be something the company will appreciate receiving and whether you are, effectively, wasting your time and theirs.

shania117

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank for the suggestion. I was thinking to show my enthusiasm to work with the group. How about this?
I would like to express my deepest gratitude for your kind feedback and the interview opportunity. I was disappointed not to be successful and I would appreciate any suggestion that might help me in the future. The project sounds very interesting and I was quite hopeful of getting the position.
Please keep my application in mind for any future opportunities. I wish you and the rest of the team all the best moving forward, and I look forward to seeing the safe citizen challenge progress, hoping that someday I will be able to become a contributor.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the suggestion. I was [STRIKE]thinking[/STRIKE] trying/hoping to show my enthusiasm [STRIKE]to work[/STRIKE] for working with the group. How about this?

I would like to express my deepest gratitude for your kind feedback and the interview opportunity. I was disappointed not to be successful and I would appreciate any suggestion that might help me in the future. The project sounds very interesting and I was [STRIKE]quite[/STRIKE] hopeful of getting the position.

Please keep [STRIKE]my application[/STRIKE] me in mind for any future opportunities. I wish you and the rest of the team all the best moving forward, and I look forward to seeing the safe citizen challenge progress, hoping that someday I will be able to become a contributor.

That's much better but note my changes above.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
was disappointed not to be successful

How about: disappointed for not being successful?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That's ungrammatical.

Okay, but it would have been more helpful if you had given the correct preposition - disappointed about.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay, but it would have been more helpful if you had given the correct preposition - disappointed about.

I wouldn't say "I was disappointed about not being successful" either. I gave my preferred construction in post #13:

I was disappointed not to be successful.

It's also possible to say:

I am disappointed not to have been successful.

The choice of opening depends on whether you are still disappointed.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I wouldn't say "I was disappointed about not being successful" either.

It's not wrong to say "disappointed about", is it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

I was disappointed that I didn't get the job.

Or:

I was disappointed in myself. (Because the interview went badly.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.