• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Post Tell off tactfully

I applied for a job recently and I am following up on my application but HR is ignoring my emails. I would like to tell them off tactfully in one sentence. I appreciate your suggestions.

My Suggestion:

Option 1: I am wondering why my follow up messages are being neglected. Hope I can get a positive feedback from you.

Option 2: I hope this message would be of interest and get a reply from your side this time.

alexanderfinn is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Tell off tactfully

No, don't blame them. Take the blame on yourself.

....I aologise for taking up your time in this matter. I trust you will understand that it is my enthusiasm for the position that causes me to write again.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Economist2010 View Post
    I applied for a job recently and I am following up on my application but HR is ignoring my emails. I would like to tell them off tactfully in one sentence. I appreciate your suggestions.

My Suggestion:

Option 1: I am wondering why my follow up messages are being neglected. Hope I can get a positive feedback from you.

Option 2: I hope this message would be of interest and get a reply from your side this time.
    Aside from their language mistakes, both are hostile. They both sound impatient — a bad quality in an employee. They will harm your chances of getting the job.

You can safely assume that if they never call you, it's because they don't want to hire you. They have not lost your contact information!

You can also safely assume that that if they do want to talk with you, they will call you, even if they're slow.

Maybe they have thousands of applications to process. Maybe they're short-staffed because of the pandemic. Maybe they're not well-managed. The reason doesn't matter.

So just sit tight. And keep applying elsewhere.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Economist2010, it's understandable that you're impatient. However, they probably get hundreds of emails and don't have time to answer them all.

Don't give them a reason to strike you from the list unless you don't want them to hire you. Work on that "patience" thing.
    Not a professional teacher