Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am reading a magazine and my daughter sees me and says: "Oh, you are not asleep." I reply: "I usually read before sleep." I mean she should know that. That usually happens.

That doesn't count as a reason. The standard position suffices in this situation. I usually read before I sleep is correct there.

Do you mean "common" but not "standard"?

Yes. Only the position before the verb is standard, which is the position that all the teachers and coursebooks are telling you to use. Follow the rule, unless you have a special reason not to.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jut meant COMMON: natural, accepted, not unusual.

I meant 'common' in the sense that choosing to place an adverb in a position other than in its standard position is something that is frequently done.

You can assume that it's standard. If it were not standard, Jut would not suggest it. We advise students to use standard English.

Right, but that's not at all what I meant by 'standard'. I was using the word 'standard' because that's the word Rachel Adams used. (I actually think it's a good word to use for what I mean.) Previously, instead of 'standard position', I was using the term, 'natural position', but I think some people misunderstood what I meant.)

All three are common, correct, natural, standard. And they all mean the same thing.

I'm saying that only one of the positions is the standard position: the position directly before the verb. All the others are common in that they're frequently heard, correct in that they don't violate the rules of syntax, natural in that they would be used by native speakers, but not standard. That's the whole point of what I'm saying.

Moving the word "usually" doesn't change its emphasis. It has the same impact wherever you put it.

It depends what you mean by 'emphasis'. I think it's better if we choose to use the word 'focus' instead of 'emphasis'. Placing a sentence element in a position other than in its standard position is a way of bringing it into focus. This is a general principle of language, not confined to adverbs of frequency. The same principle applies to other kinds of adverb, as well.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"All the others are common in that they're frequently heard, correct in that they don't violate the rules of syntax, natural in that they would be used by native speakers, but not standard. That's the whole point of what I'm saying."
So none of these sentences below violate the rules of syntax. Rght? Just to make sure I don't misunderstand anything. By the way, I asked the question about the position of "usually" after reading this sentence "We will finish work at 1:00." The book gives six interpretations stressing different words. That's why I was wondering if in standard sentence I could stress "usually". As in "I usually read before sleep." The name of the book is "Correct Your English Errors" by Tim Collins. I uploaded a screenshot.

1. "Usually I have dinner at 12." (Now I am having dinner at two)

2. "Usually I don't have dinner at two".

3. "I don't have dinner at two usually."

4. "I don't usually have dinner at two."

5. "I have dinner at 12 usually."

6. "I usually don't have dinner at two."

IMG_20210305_095639.jpg

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're not following the rule. And you're confusingly mixing positive with negative sentences.

In positive sentences, the rule is that you put the frequency adverb directly before the verb, like this:

I usually have dinner at two.

In negative sentences, the rule is that you put the frequency adverb directly after the (first) auxiliary, like this:

I don't usually have dinner at two.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant 'common' in the sense that choosing to place an adverb in a position other than in its standard position is something that is frequently done.

Right, but that's not at all what I meant by 'standard'. I was using the word 'standard' because that's the word Rachel Adams used. (I actually think it's a good word to use for what I mean.) Previously, instead of 'standard position', I was using the term, 'natural position', but I think some people misunderstood what I meant.)

I'm saying that only one of the positions is the standard position: the position directly before the verb. All the others are common in that they're frequently heard, correct in that they don't violate the rules of syntax, natural in that they would be used by native speakers, but not standard. That's the whole point of what I'm saying.

It depends what you mean by 'emphasis'. I think it's better if we choose to use the word 'focus' instead of 'emphasis'. Placing a sentence element in a position other than in its standard position is a way of bringing it into focus. This is a general principle of language, not confined to adverbs of frequency. The same principle applies to other kinds of adverb, as well.
Thanks! Now we know!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Rachel Adams, in my humble opinion your goal should be fluency.

As for doing things habitually, I would say:

I eat breakfast in the morning. (Not mornings.)
I take a nap in the afternoon. (Not afternoons.)
I read in the evening. (Not evenings.)

Thanks I didn't know that it doesn't sound natural. I meant it usually happens at that time. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.