• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

despite and this is because

Dear Teachers,

I'm not sure how to express my question precisely. But bascially I guess I'm confused by "despite" and "this is because" in this paragraph:

"Hormone regulation is controlled by the endocrine glands and the master glands. The system works with great precision, despite the fact that the hormones are transported in the bloodstream and are disseminated throughout a woman's entire body. This is because each hormone can transmit only a certain chemical message, which is only able to fit into the correct receptor in the target cells."

I thought "despite" links 2 contradictory ideas. For example, "Despite the cold weather, he still wears short sleeves." In this paragraph, "the system works with precision" doesn't seem to be contradictory to the fact about the hormones. They just seem to be two seperate ideas to my understanding. Why would it use "despite"?
    And what does "this" refer to? What is because each hormone can trasmit only a certain message? I don't see where the cause-effect relation is in this paragraph...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: despite and this is because

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    Dear Teachers,

I'm not sure how to express my question precisely. But bascially I guess I'm confused by "despite" and "this is because" in this paragraph:

"Hormone regulation is controlled by the endocrine glands and the master glands. The system works with great precision, despite the fact that the hormones are transported in the bloodstream and are disseminated throughout a woman's entire body. This is because each hormone can transmit only a certain chemical message, which is only able to fit into the correct receptor in the target cells."

I thought "despite" links 2 contradictory ideas. For example, "Despite the cold weather, he still wears short sleeves." In this paragraph, "the system works with precision" doesn't seem to be contradictory to the fact about the hormones. They just seem to be two seperate ideas to my understanding. Why would it use "despite"?
    And what does "this" refer to? What is because each hormone can trasmit only a certain message? I don't see where the cause-effect relation is in this paragraph...
    I don't think the paragraph is written very well.

The author used "despite" there to draw a contrast between the precise and specific effects produced by hormones and the fact that all hormones are delivered to all organs in the blood stream. In his/her view one would expect this mass delivery system to be anything but precise. He/she then explains the reason. The explanation, however, was not terribly effective.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

I've encountered another example about "despite" that confuses me:

"Despite the cold weather, the crusts of bread that had been left for pigeons and cats on the low walls around the mosque had become moldy."

Again, cold weather and moldy do not seem to be condictory to each other. To my understanding, "Because of the cold weather, the crusts of bread had become moldy" makes sense instead. Why did the author use "despite" instead of because?

Because normally cold weather would inhibit the development of moulds, which generally require warmth and moisture to grow, but in this case they had still developed mould.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

I've again encountered a sentence with "despite" that confuses me.

"Despite pregnancy being a biological imperative, and a very real desire for many women, the fetus' relationship with the mother is parasitical."

What does "biological imperative" mean?
    Why is "despite" used in this sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'Biological imperative' means essential for the procreation of the species. Without pregnancy we cannot survive.

'Despite' relates to the fact that although pregnancy is imperative, the foetus can cause problems as it is not complementary to the process.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

What does "complementary" to the process mean? Does this has anything to do with "parasitical" the text talked about?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    What does "complementary" to the process mean? Does this has anything to do with "parasitical" the text talked about?
    Yes. In all medical senses a fetus is a parasite. It offers nothing of value to the host (physiologically), and it drains the host of nutrients, puts waste products into the host's body, and lowers the host's defenses. None of this is "complementary" to the host.