Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Spain
I have always had this quite nerdy habit of browsing dictionaries aimlessly.
I would like to do the same but listening instead of reading and I have tried with no avail to find an audio-dictionary.

(a) Do you know of the existence of any dictionary audio-book?

(b) If no to (a), do you know of a digital dictionary (e.g. the software version of the ODE) that could manage to be an acceptable surrogate? For example, the software has an option similar to Acrobat Reader's read-out-lout, but without the hyper-mechanical reading of phonetic notations and newlines.

If neither (a) or (b) exist, do you deem feasible to start a librivox-alike project or even a kickstarter campaign and get the thing going?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have always had this quite nerdy habit of browsing dictionaries aimlessly.
I would like to do the same but listening instead of reading and I have tried with no avail to find an audio-dictionary.

(a) Do you know of the existence of any dictionary audio-book?

(b) If no to (a), do you know of a digital dictionary (e.g. the software version of the ODE) that could manage to be an acceptable surrogate? For example, the software has an option similar to Acrobat Reader's read-out-lout, but without the hyper-mechanical reading of phonetic notations and newlines.

If neither (a) or (b) exist, do you deem feasible to start a librivox-alike project or even a kickstarter campaign and get the thing going?

Welcome, Mlm!

I can't imagine an audio dictionary. How would you look up a word?

There are lots of online dictionaries. Just go to one, type two or three letters in the search field, and pick a word that appears in the dropdown menu. I just typed BRO into Merriam-Webster's search field and got a long list of words to choose from.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can find information about English audio dictionaries here.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Most online dictionaries that I have seen give the pronunciation of the word, but not the rest of the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.