[Grammar] What is the appropriate way to refer to oneself in a formal, technical letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a colleague who performed several tasks for a client. She is writing a formal, technical letter to an agency having jurisdiction over our client's project. My colleague is the person signing the letter on behalf of our company while representing our client.

How should my colleague refer to herself throughout the letter, in particular when she is stating that she did a specific task? Would referring to herself as, "Ms. So And So," be appropriate? Or should she refer to herself in the first person using, "I?"

Please forgive my grammar and need for assistance. I am only a mere engineer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Without further context, I can't see why she wouldn't refer to herself as "I" as long as her name appears at the end of the letter.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have somehow found three ways to say you are only an engineer. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but that may be some sort of a record (at least here on UE).

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's your point?

Not Helpful, @Tarheel!

You have somehow found three ways to say you are only an engineer. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but that may be some sort of a record (at least here on UE).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a colleague who performed several tasks for a client. She is writing a formal, technical letter to an agency [STRIKE]having[/STRIKE] that has jurisdiction over our client's project. My colleague is the person signing the letter on behalf of our company, while also representing our client.

How should my colleague refer to herself throughout the letter, in particular when she is stating that she did a specific task? Would referring to herself as no comma here "Ms. So And So no comma here" be appropriate, or should she refer to herself in the first person using no comma here "I?"

[STRIKE]Please forgive my grammar and need for assistance.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. If you didn't need help, you wouldn't be here.

I am only an [STRIKE]mere[/STRIKE] engineer. As shown below, there is no need for this information but, if you must use it, use either "only" or "mere", not both.

What's your point?

That is not helpful, [STRIKE]@[/STRIKE]Tarheel! There is no need for the @ symbol. This isn't Twitter.

JustAnEngineer, your second post is unnecessarily impolite. Tarheel has a point that your job has absolutely no bearing on anything involved in this thread. It doesn't matter what someone on the forum does for a living. The learners are all here to learn English (or to improve their current level) and the volunteers are here to help them in that endeavour. We can all tell what you do for a living from your username.

I am interested, though, in why you are asking this question on behalf of Ms So-and-so. Perhaps you could suggest to her that she join the forum herself.

My corrections in both posts at the top will help you to improve too.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was making an attempt at humor.

Also, I was, I think, saying there is no need to put yourself down.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Since your colleague feels uneasy about using "I" and she is writing the letter on behalf of the company, she could use "we". Another possibility is using "the undersigned" but it's a bit formal and old-fashioned to me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since the letter is from her, when she talks about herself she should use the first person: I, me, my, mine, and myself.

The fact that it's a formal and technical letter doesn't change basic grammar practices. Far from it. It makes good grammar more important than in casual writing. Using the third person would be confusing and pointless.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does she have particular powers, like power of attorney?

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your reply, Charlie Bernstein. It was very helpful. :-D That was my thought. I just needed a little reassurance.

Since the letter is from her, when she talks about herself she should use the first person: I, me, my, mine, and myself.

The fact that it's a formal and technical letter doesn't change basic grammar practices. Far from it. It makes good grammar more important than in casual writing. Using the third person would be confusing and pointless.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry. I missed the humor and was in real need of advice but was not getting any.

I was not putting myself down. I just know to stay in my own lane. Thanks.

I was making an attempt at humor.

Also, I was, I think, saying there is no need to put yourself down.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have received several helpful responses.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first person would be fine, as long as a reference is made to her role. One reference is enough.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------
It depends on what the narrative is. If it's more like a technical report that explains the procedures carried out during an inspection, you could always use the passive voice.

I have checked all the valves and hinges. → All the valves and hinges have been checked.

Maybe an engineer cares more about the machine and wants to remove any human factor.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
JustAnEnginner, when you use the "Reply with quote" button, make sure you write your response under the quote box. In posts 11 and 12, you wrote your response above the quote box, which doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.