Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Goraemon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    11

    Get your reps in

    I came across this expression ”get your reps in” in the book Atomic Habits by James Clear. There are quite some results for this expression used in passages when searched online. But I am not sure what “reps” stands for. Could it be for “repetitions”?


    Here is the context. “If you want to master a habit, the key is to start with repetition, not perfection. You don’t need to map out every feature of a new habit. You just need to practice it. This is the first take-away of the 3rd Law: you just get your reps in. “

  2. #2
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,046

    Re: Get your reps in

    Yes. It's normally used in contexts involving physical exercise workouts. Here the author extends the idea to building good habits.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. #3
    Goraemon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    11

    Re: Get your reps in

    Thanks. The physical exercise context makes all the sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Yes. It's normally used in contexts involving physical exercise workouts. Here the author extends the idea to building good habits.

  4. #4
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,046

    Re: Get your reps in

    Quote Originally Posted by Goraemon View Post
    Thanks. The physical exercise context makes all the perfect sense.
    See above.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22,833

    Re: Get your reps in

    Quote Originally Posted by Goraemon View Post
    Thanks. The physical exercise context makes perfect sense.
    Yes, and even though reps technically means repetitions the word is used to refer to every time a particular exercise is performed. For example, "Do ten reps" means to do it ten times.

    (Please note format.)
    Not a professional teacher

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,851

    Re: Get your reps in

    Goraemon, when you use "Reply with quote", please leave the quote at the top of the response and write underneath it. (Look at post #3, where you wrote above the quote box. That's the wrong way to lay it out. Look at posts #4 and #5 to see how it should be done.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. #7
    Goraemon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    11

    Re: Get your reps in

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Yes, and even though reps technically means repetitions the word is used to refer to every time a particular exercise is performed. For example, "Do ten reps" means to do it ten times.

    (Please note format.)
    Format noticed. Thanks for the example.

  8. #8
    Goraemon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    11

    Re: Get your reps in

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Goraemon, when you use "Reply with quote", please leave the quote at the top of the response and write underneath it. (Look at post #3, where you wrote above the quote box. That's the wrong way to lay it out. Look at posts #4 and #5 to see how it should be done.)
    Thanks for the tip. Couldn't tell the difference if not for your explanation. It's such a wonderful website. Since you're a Moderator, I wonder what I can do to contribute back to this nice place, except for asking for advice on English usage information. Is there anything expected from new users that I should know?

  9. #9
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73,747

    Re: Get your reps in

    Make it clear that you are helping.

  10. #10
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,851

    Re: Get your reps in

    Quote Originally Posted by Goraemon View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Couldn't tell the difference if not for your explanation. It's such a wonderful website. Since you're a Moderator, I wonder what I can do to contribute back to this nice place, except for asking for advice on English usage information. Is there anything expected from new users that I should know?
    All we ask is that you click on the "Like" and "Thank" buttons in order to show your appreciation and understanding of our responses.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •