Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across this expression ”get your reps in” in the book Atomic Habits by James Clear. There are quite some results for this expression used in passages when searched online. But I am not sure what “reps” stands for. Could it be for “repetitions”?

Here is the context. “If you want to master a habit, the key is to start with repetition, not perfection. You don’t need to map out every feature of a new habit. You just need to practice it. This is the first take-away of the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Law: you just get your reps in. “

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It's normally used in contexts involving physical exercise workouts. Here the author extends the idea to building good habits.

Goraemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks. The physical exercise context makes all the sense.
Yes. It's normally used in contexts involving physical exercise workouts. Here the author extends the idea to building good habits.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. The physical exercise context makes perfect sense.

Yes, and even though reps technically means repetitions the word is used to refer to every time a particular exercise is performed. For example, "Do ten reps" means to do it ten times.

(Please note format.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Goraemon, when you use "Reply with quote", please leave the quote at the top of the response and write underneath it. (Look at post #3, where you wrote above the quote box. That's the wrong way to lay it out. Look at posts #4 and #5 to see how it should be done.)

Goraemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, and even though reps technically means repetitions the word is used to refer to every time a particular exercise is performed. For example, "Do ten reps" means to do it ten times.

(Please note format.)

Format noticed. Thanks for the example.

Goraemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Goraemon, when you use "Reply with quote", please leave the quote at the top of the response and write underneath it. (Look at post #3, where you wrote above the quote box. That's the wrong way to lay it out. Look at posts #4 and #5 to see how it should be done.)

Thanks for the tip. Couldn't tell the difference if not for your explanation. It's such a wonderful website. Since you're a Moderator, I wonder what I can do to contribute back to this nice place, except for asking for advice on English usage information. Is there anything expected from new users that I should know?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Make it clear that you are helping.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the tip. Couldn't tell the difference if not for your explanation. It's such a wonderful website. Since you're a Moderator, I wonder what I can do to contribute back to this nice place, except for asking for advice on English usage information. Is there anything expected from new users that I should know?

All we ask is that you click on the "Like" and "Thank" buttons in order to show your appreciation and understanding of our responses.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the tip. Couldn't tell the difference if not for your explanation. It's such a wonderful website. Since you're a moderator, I wonder what I can do to contribute [STRIKE]back[/STRIKE] to this nice place, except for asking for advice on English usage? Is there anything expected from new users that I should know?

Just keep asking questions. That gives us something to do. (Also likes. I live for likes.)
:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just keep asking questions. That gives us something to do. (Also likes. I live for likes.)
:)

Goraemon, you can also tell your friends about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.