Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello.

Can anybody tell me what the author means by the word "lockers"? A kind of ventilation or something like that?

I am short-sighted, as you know, and I may have been mistaken, but this is what I think I saw. From the altar a great tongue of flame seemed to shoot upwards and lick the roof, and from its pediment ran flaming streams. In front of it lay a body--Dubellay's--a naked body, already charred and black. There was nothing else, except that the Gorgon's head in the wall seemed to glow like a sun in hell.
I suppose I must have tried to enter. All I know is that I found myself staggering back, rather badly burned. I covered my eyes, and as I looked through my fingers I seemed to see the flames flowing under the wall, where there may have been lockers, or possibly another entrance. Then the great oak door suddenly shrivelled like gauze, and with a roar the fiery river poured into the house.

The Wind In The Portico, John Buchan, 1927

Thank you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not ventilation. Have you looked it up? What is confusing about the definition?

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, I have looked it up. I know what a locker is but in this case it makes no sense to me. The altar is situated outside, in a classical portico (which is part and parcel of the front of the building) and the flames ran streaming from the altar and flowing under the outer stone wall into the house. So my thought was "a locker" could be a kind of ventilation which allows the fire to get inside the building.

Thank you for helping me.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A locker is not a ventilation system. If the flames are "flowing under the wall" from the altar, they're presumably going inside.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A 'locker' can also be a refrigerated or chilled room for storing perishable food. Perhaps back during the time the book was written, 'locker' was a synonym for what today we'd call a cold cellar or root cellar.

That would (at least to me), make a bit more sense than the notion of the narrator thinking there were storage cabinets under the walls.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Johnny, the author describes exactly what he means by "lockers" at the top of the page.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I like his books, but this one was tricky and required some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.