[Idiom] the something of your choice = the choice of your something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have read one explanation of "the something of your choice" in a Toeic test.
It says I can express it in a different way. That is "the choice of your something".
In short, "the something of your choice = the choice of your something".
So, if that is right, under-written sentence of each original sentence is okay?

• Wilken said voters' First Amendment right to pick the candidate of their choice was hampered.
= Wilken said voters' First Amendment right to pick the choice of their candidate was hampered.

• When he enters Cambridge, Sir Hugo gives him freedom to pursue the studies of his choice.
= When he enters Cambridge, Sir Hugo gives him freedom to pursue the choice of his studies.

• I don’t like his choice of friends.(=the people he chooses as his friends by Oxford dictionary).
= I don't like the choice of his friends.

PS: original sentences from Longman(https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/the-something-of-your-choice) and Oxford dictionary(https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/choice_1?q=choice+).

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Neither dictionary lists the choice of your/his/etc. something as possible and I can't think of a context where it could be used. None of your sentences modeled on that pattern are correct.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can't see where Longmans claims the two are equivalent and if they did I would disagree with them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have read one explanation of "the something of your choice" in a Toeic test.

No, you didn't. TOEIC tests never 'explain' anything. Do you mean you read it in a TOEIC training textbook?

It says I can express it in a different way. That is "the choice of your something".

That's not right. Tell or show us where you read this, please.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, you didn't. TOEIC tests never 'explain' anything. Do you mean you read it in a TOEIC training textbook?
That's not right. Tell or show us where you read this, please.

Here is the sentence from the toeic test.

Transfer from Kyoto train station to the hotel of your choice.
=Transfer from Kyoto train station to the choice of your hotel.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Here is the sentence from the toeic test.

The first sentence is fine. hotel of your choice is the hotel you have chosen.

The second sentence does not make sense. You can transfer from one place to another place, not transfer from one place to "a choice".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is the sentence from the TOEIC test.

That's not a correct statement. I think there's more context that would explain this. For example, is that a true-or-false question?

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That's not a correct statement. I think there's more context that would explain this. For example, is that a true-or-false question?

No, this sentence is only one of the sentences in whole paragraph.

Day 4. Hakone to Kyoto. The morning is at leisure to further enjoy Hakone National Park.
Transfer to the railway station for the journey to Kyoto. Transfer from Kyoto train station to the hotel of your choice.
Remainder of the day at leisure. (Breakfast).

In fact, it is not related to main questions of the TOEIC Test.
I think the writer or the teacher who wrote that explanation is wrong with the usage of "the something of one's choice".
Thank you.

By the way, this is a sentence as it is in Oxford dictionary.
I don’t like his choice of friends.
제목 없음.png
AcgYXegGYplAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

This usage is different to the above-mentioned one "the something of your choice", isn't it?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can understand if members are confused by this thread. I'll try to clarify.

The sentence Transfer from Kyoto train station to the hotel of your choice is taken from a text from an English language exam (TOEIC). There are some comprehension questions to be answered related to this text.

It seems that somebody has incorrectly told Tae-Bong that the correct semi-fixed expression the _______ of one's choice can be rephrased, or perhaps understood, as the choice of one's _______ . Whoever told him that, or whoever wrote that, I can guarantee had nothing to do with the TOEIC exam. Tae-Bong has still failed to provide the source of this incorrect explanation, as I asked in post #4.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank for your clarification.

The sentence Transfer from Kyoto train station to the hotel of your choice is taken from a text from an English language exam (TOEIC). There are some comprehension questions to be answered related to this text.
⇒ Yes

It seems that somebody has incorrectly told Tae-Bong that the correct semi-fixed expression the _______ of one's choice can be rephrased, or perhaps understood, as the choice of one's _______ .
⇒ Yes, somebody who is a TOEIC teacher told me that the choice of your hotel was possible but it has turned out to be wrong. So the source of this incorrect explanation is originally from the teacher in a private cram school so called 학원 in Korean. However as you can see this question posted by me, I am doubt of his explanation. That's why I've posted it.

Anyway now I got to know "the something of your choice the choice of your something."

But the only thing that I feel confused about is the example sentence from Oxford dictionary. Should I post a new question for it? I don't want you to waste your valuable time.

제목 없음.png
Kcwjlio0m7QAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But the only thing that I feel confused about is the example sentence from Oxford dictionary. Should I post a new question for it? I don't want you to waste your valuable time.

View attachment 3922
Kcwjlio0m7QAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Could you say what exactly you feel confused about? Can you understand the meaning of the dictionary example? The pattern used there can be written as: one's choice of ______ .

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Could you say what exactly you feel confused about? Can you understand the meaning of the dictionary example? The pattern used there can be written as: one's choice of ______ .

Thank for your kind attention to me and your help.

I mean, when I look at the sentence, it almost looks like the pattern "the choice of your something". is used in it.
• I don’t like his choice of friends.

Thus if I change this sentence like this, it seems to me like both of the sentences are the same.
• I don't like friends of his choice.

But do you mean they are the same?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say you don't like "his choice of friends" what you are really saying is you don't like his friends. (He chose to be with those people.) You can't change the words around and have it mean the same thing (assuming it means anything at all).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
.• I don't like friends of his choice.

That's wrong.

The two patterns are not the same. They have quite different uses. Don't confuse them.

Status
Not open for further replies.