Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

I would like to ask for help about the recognition of what was said on the show by WWE superstars. Please click the link for the Youtube video. I watched this clip many times, but I still couldn't recognize the following utterances:

(1) from 4:55 to 4:59. Is that "Let's not get started on your daddy issue; I mean, all of the cans of worms"?
(2) from 7:07 to 7:08. My transcription: I'm gonna give you a buy 'cause of everything you've been through for the past couple of weeks....

I am not sure if the utterances marked in blue are correct or not. Please help me correct them.

Thank you in advance for your kind help!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) "I mean, that's a whole other can of worms."
2) "I'm gonna give you a by" ….

These are both idioms which you might want to Google. Feel free to ask us for help if you can't make sense of them.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The word is "bye" and it comes from the world of sports and games. In an elimination tournament (Wimbledon for instance) in some rounds there may be an odd number of competitors. In that case one player will have no opponent and will get a free pass to the next round. That is called getting a bye.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, GoesStation, for your prompt reply and revisions! I'm starting to love this forum! :-D

I had no problem in understanding the meaning of these idioms, but I was wondering if there is a saying "give someone a by", 'cause I consulted both urban dictionary and free dictionary for this idiom and found nothing. I also googled it with quotation mark, but the results were all irrelevant.

Thank You!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you, GoesStation, for your prompt reply and revisions! I'm starting to love this forum! :-D

I had no problem in understanding the meaning of these idioms, but I was wondering if there is a saying "give someone a by", 'cause I consulted both urban dictionary and free dictionary for this idiom and found nothing. I also googled it with quotation mark, but the results were all irrelevant.

Thank You!

That's because it's "bye" not "by".

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, Probus! This idiom is cool!

The word is "bye" and it comes from the world of sports and games. In an elimination tournament (Wimbledon for instance) in some rounds there may be an odd number of competitors. In that case one player will have no opponent and will get a free pass to the next round. That is called getting a bye.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was wondering if there is a saying "give someone a by",

It's not technically a saying or an idiom, but you can call it a (semi-fixed) expression, yes.

Note the correct spelling that probus has pointed out.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's not technically a saying or an idiom, but you can call it a (semi-fixed) expression, yes.

Note the correct spelling that probus has pointed out.

Thank you so much for your helpful reminder!

Status
Not open for further replies.