I cannot overcome your sympathy vote here. I won't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Matthew said, "Thanks for the kind feedback. My English wording leaves much to be desired."
Tomcat replied, "I cannot overcome your sympathy vote here. I won't try."

Source: https://www.tenforums.com/network-s...ic-wi-fi-network-post2169768.html#post2169768

I have read the following definition of "sympathy vote" but still do not get the meaning of "overcome your sympathy vote", as I have never cast a vote for anyone there.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sympathy-vote

Does anyone know what it means?

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a mystery to me. I speculate that Tomcat is not a native speaker and has misunderstood "sympathy vote."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my post #1, I said I should be the only non-native English speaker there. That is not a demand for only native speakers to respond.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my post #1, I said I could be the only non-native English speaker there. That is not a demand for only native speakers to respond.

I suppose "sympathy vote" makes sense in the right context, but I don't see how it works there. (Maybe the person thinks the others sympathize with you because you are a non-native speaker. (People are often hard to figure out.))

Long time no see!

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The guy has used sympathy vote wrong, so you're not going to make sense of it by looking in dictionaries.

I think he's saying that you're unfairly looking for sympathy by claiming to be a non-native speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.