Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe a situation when a car moves on a dirt road and there is dust in the air as a result of that. Can I use "billow"? Do I have other options?

Is this correct and natural?

The wind was howling through the treetops, violently rocking the trees up and down. Their highest branches touched the ground and went up. John wondered how the wind could not get the better of those tree. Perhaps they'd learned how to withstand the gusty days after so many years. He climbed a gently-sloped to reach a dirt road stretching alongside a water canal into infinity. At the edge of the horizon, John saw a truck bouncing on the road, kicking up a faint billow of dust into the pinkish sky. To his left, the orange-red orb of the sun was disappearing into the dusty haze. What remained of the day vanished as night settled on the landscape. The path was now lit only by a dim moonlight seeping through wispy clouds. John reached for the water bottle, putting it into his dog's mouth. Arnold began drinking with the vigor of someone trying to quench a two-day thirst. Arnold whimpered, tilting his head up and whimpering. His eyes, reflecting the watery moonlight, said thank you, thank you.
John found a crumbling hut to the right of the dirt road. He decided to go inside to see if it was suitable for a night's sleep. He cautiously opened the door creaking in the silent night. Inside was as dark as inside a coffin.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm trying to describe a situation where/in which a car moves on a dirt road and there is dust in the air as a result of that. Can I use "billow"?

Yes.

Do I have other options?

Always. Cloud is the most common word for that. But billow is good.

Is this correct and natural?

The wind was howling through the treetops, violently rocking the trees up and down. Their highest branches touched the ground and went up. John wondered how the wind could not get the better of those tree. Perhaps they'd learned how to withstand the gusty days after so many years. He climbed a gentle slope to reach a dirt road stretching alongside a water canal into infinity. At the edge of the horizon, John saw a truck bouncing on the road, kicking up a faint billow of dust into the pinkish sky. To his left, the orange-red orb of the sun was disappearing into the dusty haze. What remained of the day vanished as night settled on the landscape. The path was now lit only by a dim moonlight seeping through wispy clouds. John reached for the water bottle, putting it into his dog's mouth. Arnold began drinking with the vigor of someone trying to quench a two-day thirst. Arnold whimpered, tilting his head up [STRIKE]and whimpering[/STRIKE]. His eyes, reflecting the watery moonlight, said thank you, thank you.
John found a crumbling hut to the right of the dirt road. He decided to go inside to see if it was suitable for a night's sleep. He cautiously opened the door. It creaked in the silent night. The room was as dark as inside a coffin.
That's that!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that a strong wind rocks trees from side to side, not up and down. The latter makes it sound as if they're jumping up and down in the air!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say that a strong wind rocks trees from side to side, not up and down. The latter makes it sound as if they're jumping up and down in the air!
Good point. I puzzled over that but couldn't think of anything useful to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.