Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Venus_hsv's Avatar
    Venus_hsv is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    18

    Talking statement of purpose

    Hi

    I amI am a 21-year-old undergraduate from the National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents, Farzanegan high school (SAMPAD). I am currently in my third year of BMLS (Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science) at the Alborz University of Medical Science in Iran, I strive to gain professional experience, and I am very fond of Immunology science with new technologies. I'm experienced with most of the laboratory tests in Hematology, Immunology, Biochemistry, etc. I am skilled and confident as a cooperative team member as well as an individual. Not only that, but I see myself as a dynamic and determined young student. Furthermore, I am a hard-working and thorough person. When faced with challenges, I am quick to learn and grow. I am looking for opportunities to develop as an immunology specialist.

    So I need a SOP for my applications, is there anyone who can help me with that, I've read the samples, but they all had some experience in something related which I don't have the own privilege that I got is my GPA and my English.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 29-Mar-2021 at 09:53. Reason: Removed unnecessary bold

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,287

    Re: statement of purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Venus_hsv View Post
    Hi.

    "I amI am a 21-year-old undergraduate from the National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents, Farzanegan High School (SAMPAD). I am currently in my third year of my/the BMLS (Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science) at the Alborz University of Medical Science in Iran. I strive to gain professional experience, and I am very fond of interested Immunology science with and associated new technologies. I'm experienced I have experience with most of the laboratory tests in hematology, immunology and biochemistry. etc.

    I am skilled and confident as a cooperative team member as well as an individual when working alone. Not only that, but I see myself as I am a dynamic and determined young student. Furthermore, I am a hard-working and thorough person. When faced with challenges, I am quick to learn and grow. I am looking for opportunities to develop as an immunology specialist."

    So I need a SOP for my applications. Is there anyone who can help me with that? I've read the samples, but they all had some experience in something related which I don't have the own privilege that I got is my GPA and my English.
    Welcome to the forum.

    Please note my suggested changes. I don't know exactly what they're looking for in an SOP so I have left the main body of your text and simply corrected it. Only you know if that's the type of content they're looking for. Don't use "etc" in texts like this. I imagine they want to know exactly what areas you have experience in.

    The final blue underlined sentence is incomprehensible to me. Please try to explain what you're trying to say using different words.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. #3
    Venus_hsv's Avatar
    Venus_hsv is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    18

    Re: statement of purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    Please note my suggested changes. I don't know exactly what they're looking for in an SOP, so I have left the main body of your text and simply corrected it. Only you know if that's the type of content they're looking for. Don't use "etc" in texts like this. I imagine they want to know exactly what areas you have experience in.

    The final blue underlined sentence is incomprehensible to me. Please try to explain what you're trying to say using different words.
    Oh! God, thank you so much for correcting me. I truly appreciate it, but I was just explaining about myself and I have problems to write a SOP! SOP is like a letter about myself, so I can send them to universities to apply. The last sentence I was trying to tell you what am I worried about that I need help in writing SOP and put the good words together in a really effective way so if they will accept me as a prospective student

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,287

    Re: statement of purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Venus_hsv View Post
    Oh, ! God, thank you so much for correcting me. I truly appreciate it, but I was just explaining giving you some information about myself and but I have problems am struggling to write an SOP!
    An SOP is like a letter about myself, so that I can send them to universities to apply to support my application. With the last sentence, I was trying to tell you explain what am I worried about, that and why I need help in with writing an effective SOP and put the good words together in a really effective way so if that they will accept me as a prospective student.
    Please note my corrections above. I know what an SOP is. We don't write letters for people here. You need to try to write the SOP yourself, post it here and then members will comment.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. #5
    Venus_hsv's Avatar
    Venus_hsv is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    18

    Lightbulb Re: statement of purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please note my corrections above. I know what an SOP is. We don't write letters for people here. You need to try to write the SOP yourself, post it here and then members will comment.
    Thank you, but why do you keep using An instead of a SOP?

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,287

    Re: statement of purpose

    If you had used the full name "Statement of Purpose", the indefinitely article "a" would be correct. However, you keep using the initialism "SOP" which requires "an". The word "statement" starts with a consonant sound so is preceded by "a". When you say "SOP" aloud, it sounds like "ess oh pee". "Ess" (the pronunciation of the letter "s") starts with the vowel sound "e" so must be preceded by "an".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. #7
    Venus_hsv's Avatar
    Venus_hsv is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    18

    Cool Re: statement of purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you had used the full name "Statement of Purpose", the indefinitely article "a" would be correct. However, you keep using the initialism "SOP" which requires "an". The word "statement" starts with a consonant sound so is preceded by "a". When you say "SOP" aloud, it sounds like "ess oh pee". "Ess" (the pronunciation of the letter "s") starts with the vowel sound "e" so must be preceded by "an".
    Understood, thanks emsr

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60,287

    Re: statement of purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Venus_hsv View Post
    Understood. Thanks, emsr2d2.
    Note my corrections above to your punctuation and to my username.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •