Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In a local textbook I came across the following topic for an essay: It is important to get doing with your neighbours.

I understood from the context that "to get doing with somebody" means "to get along well with somebody". But I still felt a little bit confused, so I decided to check it in the dictionary. To my surprise, I couldn't find a single dictionary entry for "to get doing with". Could you clarify this expression for me? Is it common?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've never heard it. What was the name of the textbook - and its author?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a local textbook I came across the following topic for an essay: It is important to get doing with your neighbours.

I understood from the context that "to get doing with somebody" means "to get along well with somebody". But I still felt a little bit confused, so I decided to check it in the dictionary. To my surprise, I couldn't find a single dictionary entry for "to get doing with". Could you clarify this expression for me? Is it common?
There is no such expression. It's a mistake. Good question!

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've never heard it. What was than name off the textbook - and its author?
It is a Russian textbook created by non-natives aimed at helping students to prepare for the state exam. ;-) But even I I felt there was something wrong with it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In a local textbook I came across the following topic for an essay

What do you mean by "topic for an essay"? Can you give us some context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is a Russian textbook created by non-natives aimed at helping students to prepare for the state exam.
That tells us the name of neither the book nor its author.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What do you mean by "topic for an essay"? Can you give us some context?

That is something I have always been struggling with. In my language we call the problem on which you are going to dwell on in your essay a "topic of the essay". So here we have a case of interference of my native language. It should be a theme of/for an essay, right?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
That tells us the name of neither the book nor its author.

I only know that the author's name is Andrey Mishin. I got only one screenshot with the assignment to write an essay from this book sent to me by a friend. I don't know what book exactly it was. But here is one of the many of his textbooks, just as an example: https://www.labirint.ru/books/569655/
And here's the screenshot:
IMG-20210329-WA0000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210329-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210329-WA0000.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 5

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That is something I have always been struggling with. In my language we call the problem on which you are going to dwell on in your essay a "topic of the essay". So here we have a case of interference of my native language. It should be a theme of/for an essay, right?

No, it's neither topic nor theme. The sentence is a statement that the student has to agree or disagree with, so I call it a title statement.

Anyway, that's an awful title statement, because it's very hard to know what it's supposed to mean. I'd guess that get doing means something like 'generally participating in certain activities'. In other words: 'It's important to do stuff with your neighbours'. Do not use this title statement in class.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No, it's neither topic nor theme. The sentence is a statement that the student has to agree or disagree with, so I call it a title statement.

It is a new term for me, thank you. And, in more common situations, do you use the term 'topic for an essay' or 'theme of an essay'?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The essay topic is the subject that the essay is generally about. The topic might be animal testing, legalising drugs, or global warming.

When the title statement expresses a claim that is to be argued in the essay, we call this claim a thesis. This is why title statements are sometimes called thesis statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.