• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: High Calibre

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    I agree there does appear to be a cultural divide here, but you should remember that you're the one who should be accommodating the CEO's culture. What is his/her first language? Which country is this bank in?
    He is Egyptian. His first language is Arabic. The bank is in Egypt.

jutfrank is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Have I misunderstood something? Your profile information says your first language is Arabic and that you're from Egypt.

Is that true? If so, why are you writing in English? And where's the culture divide?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

We've been through this before, when Economist2010 first started posting. He/she said that regardless of the nationality of the applicant, the HR department or any other staff, or the location of the bank, all the jobs he/she is applying for require all communication to be made in English.
    That's the cultural divide I was talking about. A lot of the things Economist says would be unacceptable if used by native English speakers (or anyone) to another native speaker, in the situation provided. However, Economist claims that they are quite acceptable when used by one Arabic speaker to another, even when expressed in English.
    I readily admit that I am unable to put myself in Economist's shoes in order to help with that sort of letter because I will simply end up deleting most of it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    As you have been told in other threads, Economist, accept that you have been turned down; move on. If you try this sort of thing every time you are turned down, the word is going to get around, and your applications won't even be considered in the future - by anybody.
    I've told him all that several times in other threads.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-Apr-2021 at 16:22.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We've been through this before, when Economist2010 first started posting. He/she said that regardless of the nationality of the applicant, the HR department or any other staff, or the location of the bank, all the jobs he/she is applying for require all communication to be made in English.
    That's the cultural divide I was talking about. A lot of the things Economist says would be unacceptable if used by native English speakers (or anyone) to another native speaker, in the situation provided. However, Economist claims that they are quite acceptable when used by one Arabic speaker to another, even when expressed in English.
    I readily admit that I am unable to put myself in Economist's shoes in order to help with that sort of letter because I will simply end up deleting most of it.
    I assume from his avatar that he's a he — or that she wants us to treat him as a he.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-Apr-2021 at 16:22.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Economist2010 View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I want to say.
    Why?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Economist2010 View Post
    I liked your feedback. Thanks. ��

But I didn't like it when you said "this is the last time". The tone is not soft. On the contrary, I feel that it is aggressive.

I am here, emsr2d2, to make my writing better, not to get advice in that tone.

In this context, writing is not countable.

However, when you or other team members give a sincere advice, I accept it with thanks.

Actually, you don't always accept it. That can be frustrating for us. For example, you're still not punctuating the ends of all your sentences.

That's why we sometimes say things more emphatically to you than to other students.

I come up with this email as in my culture it is acceptable, especially when I used a diplomatic way I.e: I said "It was better for it to bring a high calibre."

That phrase doesn't make sense. What you probably mean is: "It would be better to bring in a higher-calibre person."

Unfortunately, that means you think that the person doing the job now is low-calibre.

That is not diplomatic. It is tactless!

and didn't say "it will regret".

That phrase doesn't make sense, either. Things don't feel regret. Only people have regrets.

In the end, I fully respect your advice and appreciate it

Advice is not countable.

. . . as long as it is a polite tone.

Ems was simply saying it straight. You often disagree with our advice about our own native language and culture. Ems was using forceful language because you haven't been taking a lot of our advice.
    Again: There is no tactful way to say in English what you want to say. So don't try. Either say it straight or don't say it at all. If the company insists on English-language communication, you need to understand what is polite and rude in English.

And since you didn't get the job, why are you writing to them at all?

Notice that it's still unclear whether you're writing to the current or former head of the company. But writing to either one doesn't make sense, since you have already been rejected.

Notice also that in past threads, We have corrected your grammar on this very letter. Why are you rewriting it?
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-Apr-2021 at 16:37.

jutfrank is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We've been through this before, when Economist2010 first started posting.
    Oh, sorry. I hadn't noticed that.

He/she said that regardless of the nationality of the applicant, the HR department or any other staff, or the location of the bank, all the jobs he/she is applying for require all communication to be made in English.
    Why do you think so, Economist2010? I'm sure that isn't true. If you're applying for a job in Egypt, apply in Arabic, not in English. Problem solved.

Economist2010 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Post Re: High Calibre

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    Oh, sorry. I hadn't noticed that.

Why do you think so, Economist2010? I'm sure that isn't true. If you're applying for a job in Egypt, apply in Arabic, not in English. Problem solved.
    No, I can not apply in Arabic. English is dominant in all organisations especially in business emails. No emails in Arabic at all.

Economist2010 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Again: There is no tactful way to say in English what you want to say. So don't try. Either say it straight or don't say it at all. If the company insists on English-language communication, you need to understand what is polite and rude in English.

And since you didn't get the job, why are you writing to them at all?

Notice that it's still unclear whether you're writing to the current or former head of the company. But writing to either one doesn't make sense, since you have already been rejected.

Notice also that in past threads, We have corrected your grammar on this very letter. Why are you rewriting it?
    Thanks Charlie for your feedback.

I would like to highlight that it becomes a habit for me to take care of punctuations especially at the end of any sentence. I am sure that you noticed that in all my writings since you and emsr2d2 advised me to take care of that.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last