Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Say it then. :lol:

Good luck!

Generations of high-wire performers have greeted one another with "Break a leg,"

That's probably better than "Good luck" in this context.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, I can not apply in Arabic. English is dominant in all organisations especially in business emails. No emails in Arabic at all.

Yes, of course you can. What do you think people who don't know English do? Contact him in Arabic, not English. Perhaps give him a call.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Charlie for your feedback.

I would like to highlight that it has become a habit for me to take care of punctuation, especially at the end of any sentence. I am sure that you have noticed that in all my writing since you and emsr2d2 advised me to take care of that.

I have not. Didn't you see the punctuation corrections I made in post 17?
Punctuation is never countable. In this context, writing is not countable.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
On the matter of gender, economist2010 must be a man. It would be next to impossible for a woman to hold a senior executive position in the Arab world.

As a footnote, when I travelled frequently to India I often flew on airlines based in Arab countries. Although the cabins were non-smoking the Arab passengers blithely smoked while the air hostesses told them not to. Their attitude appeared to be "I don't take orders from mere women."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Generations of high-wire performers have greeted one another with "Break a leg,"

That's probably better than "Good luck" in this context.
In the US, actors say it. It's good luck.

And they don't say Macbeth. It's bad luck.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Charlie for your feedback.

I would like to highlight that it becomes a habit for me to take care of punctuations especially at the end of any sentence. I am sure that you noticed that in all my writings since you and emsr2d2 advised me to take care of that.

Once again you are using too many words. Also, I am pretty sure they didn't advise you to take care of it. Instead, they simply asked you to do it. I suggest that until you get into the habit of using proper punctuation that you proofread everything before posting it. (The word writing isn't normally pluralized, and the word punctuation never is.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . (The word writing isn't normally pluralized, and the word punctuation never is.)
Yes, Eco. That's what I meant when I said they aren't countable. If something can't be counted, it can't be pluralized.

Status
Not open for further replies.