Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Patrick opened the door and walked inside the villa screened by tall trees. He walked past the lush trees to see a vast expanse of barren land to the east of the villa. The soil was cracked and it looked like it'd been plowed a long time ago, dry furrows running vertically along its length. Patrick sat by one of the furrows, enjoying the sun on his skin. A black insect was crawling in the furrow, its feelers moving. Patrick heard an engine come to life in the distant and a few minutes later saw water flowing slowly alongside the channels, shimmering in the sun. The black insect was taken by the water, trying to keep itself afloat, flailing helplessly. After a few minutes, it succumbed to water, plunging in the small stream.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He entered the villa and walked past lush trees? I don't understand. Who has lush trees growing inside their villa?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
He entered the villa and walked past lush trees? I don't understand. Who has lush trees growing inside their villa?

In my language, we call the entire area and the garden a villa.

Longman says this:

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/villa
a big house in the country with a large garden

But you are right, in English it doesn't work. So, do I say entered the villa's yard?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What's wrong with "garden"?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's wrong with "garden"?

Okay.

Patrick opened the door and walked inside the garden surrounding the villa. He walked past the lush trees to see a vast expanse of barren land to the east of the villa. The soil was cracked and it looked like it'd been plowed a long time ago, dry furrows running vertically along its length. Patrick sat by one of the furrows, enjoying the sun on his skin. A black insect was crawling in the furrow, its feelers moving. Patrick heard an engine come to life in the distant and a few minutes later saw water flowing slowly alongside the channels, shimmering in the sun. The black insect was taken by the water, trying to keep itself afloat, flailing helplessly. After a few minutes, it succumbed to water, plunging in the small stream.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay.

Patrick opened the door and walked [STRIKE]inside[/STRIKE] into the garden surrounding the villa. He [STRIKE]walked past[/STRIKE] passed the lush trees [STRIKE]to see[/STRIKE] and saw a vast expanse of barren land to the east of the villa. The soil was cracked and it looked like [STRIKE]it'd[/STRIKE] it had been plowed a long time ago, dry furrows running vertically along its length.

Something's missing here. In the first part, he could only see this expanse of barren land. Suddenly, he's sitting on it!

Patrick sat by one of the furrows, enjoying the sun on his skin. A black insect was crawling [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] along the furrow, its feelers moving. Patrick heard an engine come to life in the distance and a few minutes later [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] water [STRIKE]flowing[/STRIKE] started flowing slowly alongside the channels, shimmering in the sun. The black insect was taken by the water, trying to keep itself afloat, flailing helplessly. After a few minutes, it succumbed to the water, plunging into the small stream. (What stream? You haven't mentioned there being a stream anywhere.)

See above. Poor little insect!

What has the engine got to do with water starting to flow?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the water was probably flowing in the furrows, not alongside them.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Okay. Another try:

Patrick opened the door and walked into the garden surrounding the villa. He passed the lush trees screening the white building and saw a vast expanse of barren land to the east of the villa. The soil was cracked and it looked like it had been plowed a long time ago, dry furrows running vertically along its length.

Patrick trudged towards one of the furrows, feeling dirt clods crushing beneath his sneakers. He sat by a furrow, enjoying the sun on his skin. A black insect was crawling sluggishly along the furrow, its feelers moving. Patrick heard an engine come to life in the distance, perhaps a diesel water pump, and a few minutes later water started flowing slowly in the channels, shimmering in the sun. The black insect was taken by the water, trying to keep itself afloat, flailing helplessly. After a few minutes, it succumbed to the water, plunging into the rivulet flowing in the furrows.

I'm not sure if rivulet works. What word can I use?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "rivulet" is good.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this completely okay?

Patrick opened the door and walked into the garden surrounding the villa. He passed the lush trees screening the white building and saw a vast expanse of barren land to the east of the villa. The soil was cracked and it looked like it had been plowed a long time ago, dry furrows running vertically along its length.

Patrick trudged towards one of the furrows, feeling dirt clods crushing beneath his sneakers. He sat by a furrow, enjoying the sun on his skin. A black insect was crawling sluggishly along the furrow, its feelers moving. Patrick heard an engine come to life in the distance, perhaps a diesel water pump, and a few minutes later water started flowing slowly in the channels, shimmering in the sun. The black insect was taken by the water, trying to keep itself afloat, flailing helplessly. After a few minutes, it succumbed to the water, plunging into the rivulet flowing in the furrows.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this completely okay?

Patrick opened the door and walked into the garden surrounding the villa.

OK.

He passed the lush trees shading the white building and saw a vast expanse of barren land to the east of the villa. The soil was cracked and it looked like it had been plowed a long time ago, dry furrows running vertically along its length.

Patrick walked towards one of the furrows, feeling dirt clods crushing beneath his sneakers. He sat by a furrow, enjoying the sun on his skin. A black insect was crawling sluggishly along the furrow, its feelers moving. Patrick heard an engine come to life in the distance, perhaps a diesel water pump, and a few minutes later water started flowing slowly in the channels, shimmering in the sun. The black insect was taken by the water, trying to keep itself afloat, flailing helplessly. After a few minutes, it succumbed to the water, plunging into the rivulet flowing in the furrows.

I don't understand the word screening there, so I suggested shading. We don't use trudged very often to replace walked. (Rarely, in fact.)

There doesn't seem to be any reason to mention the color of the building.

That narration is rich in detail.
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand the idea of the trees screening the house. Some people purposely grow a row of trees between their house and anywhere members of the public (or even their neighbours) might be. The trees act as a screen, shielding the house from view.

Status
Not open for further replies.