• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Philip was resigned to his fate.

Is this correct and natural?

Philip was resigned to his fate. He had to spend the next few months in this lifeless, soulless city. On his days off, he would wander around the hospital's dormitory in the narrow alleyways that twisted around one another like a labyrinth. The buildings had high, ugly, concrete walls, each one towering over the other. It was as if the city was hiding from itself.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Philip was resigned to his fate.

Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Is this correct and natural?

Philip was resigned to his fate. He had to spend the next few months in this lifeless, soulless city. On his days off, he would wander around the hospital's dormitory in the narrow alleyways that twisted around one another like a labyrinth. The buildings had high, ugly, concrete walls, each one towering over the other. It was as if the city were hiding from itself.
    Hm. A dormitory is a kind of building. But alleyways are outdoors. So " dormitory in the narrow alleyways" doesn't make sense to me.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

alpacinoutd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Philip was resigned to his fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Hm. A dormitory is a kind of building. But alleyways are outdoors. So " dormitory in the narrow alleyways" doesn't make sense to me.
    Okay. Would this work?

Philip was resigned to his fate. He had to spend the next few months in this lifeless, soulless city. On his days off, he would wander around the neighborhoods near the hospital's dormitory, in the narrow alleyways that twisted around one another like a labyrinth. The buildings had high, ugly, concrete walls, each one towering over the other. It was as if the city were hiding from itself.
    Last edited by alpacinoutd; 03-Apr-2021 at 20:20.