Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Good day guys,

Someone wrote to me using this expression.

I have asked the local, they don't seem to know the expression.
If anyone could tell me more about the expression, used only by the older generation ?

Context :
He's been working in the field for donkey's years. You, who are still wet behind the ears. If you want to know the ins and outs of the job, you will have to go after him. He is full bottle on it. He will show you the ropes if you are lucky.

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This septuagenarian has never encountered the expression.

Where did you find your text?

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
This septuagenarian has never encountered the expression.

Where did you find your text?

I have looked it up online. It's Australian/Kiwi.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Good day[/STRIKE] Hello. [STRIKE]guys,[/STRIKE] We are not all male.

Someone wrote to me [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] and used [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] the expression below. I have asked the locals no comma here but they don't seem to know the expression. [STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] Can anyone [strike]could[/strike] tell me more about the expression? Is it used only by the older generation ?

Context:
He's been working in the field for donkey's years. You, who are still wet behind the ears. If you want to know the ins and outs of the job, you will have to go after him. He is full bottle on it. He will show you the ropes if you are lucky.

Thank you.

Note my corrections and comments above. The underlined part is not a complete sentence.

Your sentence starting "If anyone could tell me more" needed to continue with something like "... about this expression, I would be very grateful".

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Note my corrections and comments above. The underlined part is not a complete sentence.

Your sentence starting "If anyone could tell me more" needed to continue with something like "... about this expression, I would be very grateful".

Okay.

Hello!
Someone wrote to me and used the expression below. I have asked the locals but they don't seem to know the expression. Can anyone tell me more about the expression? Is it used only by the older generation?

Modified text:
"He's been working in the field for ages and you are still wet behind the ears. Go and ask him to show you the ropes. He is full bottle on it."

Thank you.

p/s: I have the impression that the expression has faded in obscurity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]p/s:[/STRIKE] PS I have the impression that the expression has faded into obscurity.

See above. You can write "PS" or "P.S.", then a space and then the next word.

PS I have the impression ...
P.S. I have the impression ...

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
See above. You can write "PS" or "P.S.", then a space and then the next word.

PS I have the impression ...
P.S. I have the impression ...

I will go with PS from now on.
I don't like that Cambridge doesn't treat NB and PS the same. nb is okay but not ps.
I can't see any 'Thank' button.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will go with "PS" from now on. I don't like that Cambridge doesn't treat "NB" and "PS" the same. "nb" is okay but not "ps".

By the way, I can't see any 'Thank' button.

"NB" or "N.B." should be capitalised. Take some time to read the information HERE. It has useful information and I certainly learnt a few things.

Now that you've made ten public posts, you should be able to see the "Thank" button. If you can't, you need to put a post in the Support Area. Remember to add what device, operating system and browser you're using.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm going to have to find an excuse to use that word (septuagenarian). :)

(I have never encountered that phrase before either.)

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's actually two phrases - 'full bottle' and 'on it', versus one longer phrase. I've never encountered it before either, but a few sources list it as Australian slang, with a definition that seems to fit the context. I also wondered if it might not be Cockney rhyming slang.

Collins has a rather limited entry on it here. I generally don't put much stock in Urban Dictionary, but the entry here has a similar meaning as the Collins entry. This forum seems to cement its use in AuE and Cockney.

Presumably the Cockney slang is a rhyme for 'throttle'.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

If it is indeed from rhyming slang, then yes, that would certainly be the rhyme. Interesting.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
I think it's actually two phrases - 'full bottle' and 'on it', versus one longer phrase. I've never encountered it before either, but a few sources list it as Australian slang, with a definition that seems to fit the context. I also wondered if it might not be Cockney rhyming slang.

Collins has a rather limited entry on it here. I generally don't put much stock in Urban Dictionary, but the entry here has a similar meaning as the Collins entry. This forum seems to cement its use in AuE and Cockney.

Interesting.
Thank you.

PS I still can't see any 'Thank' button.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Using "full bottle" to express "full throttle" is a somewhat unimpressive, lazy example of Cockney rhyming slang!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It doesn't sound very like rhyming slang to me when they have kept the first word. Glass/green bottle sound more like rhyming slang to me. It may simply be something that sounded familiar. Classic rhyming slang is both obscure and witty- nice titfer (tit for tat = hat). Changing throttle to bottle doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS I still can't see any 'Thank' button.

In a previous thread, I suggested you post in the Support Area about this. You didn't but one of the moderators did it on your behalf. One of the admins responded with the following:

"The IP resolves to France, which means that the profile is incorrect. The account was made a few years ago, which means that it has been placed in the Dormant category. When they fix their issues, I will update their account to reflect their current status." You can see the relevant thread HERE.

So, as you can see, until you correct the information in your member profile, you won't have access to the full range of forum facilities.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
In a previous thread, I suggested you post in the Support Area about this. You didn't but one of the moderators did it on your behalf. One of the admins responded with the following:

"The IP resolves to France, which means that the profile is incorrect. The account was made a few years ago, which means that it has been placed in the Dormant category. When they fix their issues, I will update their account to reflect their current status." You can see the relevant thread HERE.

So, as you can see, until you correct the information in your member profile, you won't have access to the full range of forum facilities.

Thank you.
I've done the rectification.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you.
I've done the rectification.

It doesn't look like that's the case to me. When I click on your member profile, I still get:

Native language: Chinese
Home country: Brunei
Current location: Australia

We already know that your IP address is in France so you're clearly not in Australia. I also find it unlikely that you grew up in Brunei but your native language is Chinese. Please try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.