After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant. Located at a wide boulevard, the restaurant was between a grocery store and a park. It looked elegant on the outside, but as we entered, I noticed it was a mess with waiters buzzing around the shabby candlelit tables, shouting over one another. We were directed to our seat by a waiter who hadn't taken shower in a while. He handed us the menu with a fake, forced smile. An old air-conditioner was humming at the corner opposite us but it was not doing a very good job and inside the restaurant was hot. Jack took off his expensive suit. He looked out of place there but he said he liked the quaint charm of the restaurant. Some of the letters on the menu had faded away and some words were unreadable. I ordered grilled salmon and jack ordered pasta with tea as drink. "Would you like your tea now or after the meal?" asked the waiter.
"After please," answered Jack.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant [STRIKE]. Located [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] in/on a wide boulevard, [STRIKE]the restaurant was[/STRIKE] between a grocery store and a park. It looked elegant on the outside, but as we entered, I noticed it was a mess [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] and the waiters were buzzing around the shabby candlelit tables, shouting over one another.

We were directed to our seat by a waiter who hadn't taken a shower in a while. An old air-conditioner was humming [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in the corner opposite [STRIKE]us[/STRIKE] our table but it was not doing a very good job and [STRIKE]inside[/STRIKE] the restaurant was hot.

Jack took off his expensive suit. :shock: Jack decided to eat in his underwear? I'm pretty sure he didn't take off his entire suit (jacket and trousers!)

He looked out of place [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] but he said he liked the quaint charm of the restaurant. Some of the letters on the menu had faded away and some words were unreadable. I ordered grilled salmon and Jack ordered pasta [STRIKE]with tea as drink[/STRIKE] and a cup of tea.

"Would you like your tea now or after the meal?" asked the waiter.
"After, please," answered Jack.

See above.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See above.
What country is this? In the US, waitstaff never asks when to bring a drink. They just bring it.

It's the same in other countries I've visited.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's pretty common in Canada for waiters to ask when to bring a drink. In restaurants licensed to serve alcohol waitstaff are often trained to suggest a drink to start the meal because alcohol sales are where the best profit margins are.

Status
Not open for further replies.