• Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant.

Is this correct and natural?

After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant. Located at a wide boulevard, the restaurant was between a grocery store and a park. It looked elegant on the outside, but as we entered, I noticed it was a mess with waiters buzzing around the shabby candlelit tables, shouting over one another. We were directed to our seat by a waiter who hadn't taken shower in a while. He handed us the menu with a fake, forced smile. An old air-conditioner was humming at the corner opposite us but it was not doing a very good job and inside the restaurant was hot. Jack took off his expensive suit. He looked out of place there but he said he liked the quaint charm of the restaurant. Some of the letters on the menu had faded away and some words were unreadable. I ordered grilled salmon and jack ordered pasta with tea as drink. "Would you like your tea now or after the meal?" asked the waiter.
    "After please," answered Jack.
    Last edited by alpacinoutd; 05-Apr-2021 at 12:03.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Is this correct and natural?

After shopping, we decided to go to a restaurant . Located at in/on a wide boulevard, the restaurant was between a grocery store and a park. It looked elegant on the outside, but as we entered, I noticed it was a mess with and the waiters were buzzing around the shabby candlelit tables, shouting over one another.

We were directed to our seat by a waiter who hadn't taken a shower in a while. An old air-conditioner was humming at in the corner opposite us our table but it was not doing a very good job and inside the restaurant was hot.

Jack took off his expensive suit. Jack decided to eat in his underwear? I'm pretty sure he didn't take off his entire suit (jacket and trousers!)

He looked out of place there but he said he liked the quaint charm of the restaurant. Some of the letters on the menu had faded away and some words were unreadable. I ordered grilled salmon and Jack ordered pasta with tea as drink and a cup of tea.

"Would you like your tea now or after the meal?" asked the waiter.
    "After, please," answered Jack.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See above.
    What country is this? In the US, waitstaff never asks when to bring a drink. They just bring it.

It's the same in other countries I've visited.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

probus is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

It's pretty common in Canada for waiters to ask when to bring a drink. In restaurants licensed to serve alcohol waitstaff are often trained to suggest a drink to start the meal because alcohol sales are where the best profit margins are.