Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Hello.

I stumbled upon this idiom 'let fly' on the internet and asked a native speaker of English about it. He had never heard of this idiom.
Firstly, I would like to know if it is prevalent in the UK and North America?
Secondly, If this idiom can only be used as an alternative to 'to attack verbally'?
What about "to argue", "to reprimand" and "to fend for oneself"? Does the idiom cover these expressions?

Thank you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can you remember the context in which you saw/heard it?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Canadalynx, you should answer jutfrank's question. Nevertheless, while we're waiting: let fly is pretty common in AmE. To me it means any outburst of uninhibited speech, not only attacks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Canadalynx, you still haven't corrected your profile information. I am closing all your threads until you do so. Once I see that it's been done, I will reopen them and you can post new threads.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When I look up canadalynx's IP address it resolves to Australia, which his profile gives as his current location. What does he now need to amend?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Support Area message from one of the admins says it resolves to France. I just checked it and it says UK. It's either a VPN or something else is going on.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to Wikipedia, the population of Brunei is 10% Chinese.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm still getting Australia, specifically Cairns, Queensland.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So am I now, but the IP address has changed from the one I checked 45 minutes ago. I made a note of the previous one.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've noticed in the past that our admins sometimes go by the IP address used to register. That was in France. Evidently he's now in Oz.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
canadalynx, this thread has now been reopened. Please put us out of our misery and let us know why it might be that your IP address has shown up as France, the UK and Australia.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
Can you remember the context in which you saw/heard it?

"Foreigners utterly baffled when we let fly with our own slang..."

Time difference, mate!!

canadalynx, this thread has now been reopened. Please put us out of our misery and let us know why it might be that your IP address has shown up as France, the UK and Australia.

I haven't the foggiest.
I am not an IT technician.
I can't remember many details these days. I perhaps created the account when I was in Europe.

I DON'T APPRECIATE AT ALL THE ACCUSATION REGARDLESS OF THE PROBLEMS OR MISGIVINGS ON YOUR SIDE.
I don't want my posts to be at your mercy nor at your contentious discretion.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I DON'T APPRECIATE AT ALL THE ACCUSATION REGARDLESS OF THE PROBLEMS OR MISGIVINGS ON YOUR SIDE.
I'm sure it's uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of these discussions about a member's truthfulness. Unfortunately, we have to be vigilant against trolls and spammers. A couple of different suspicious signs in your membership — not your posts — led to legitimate questions. We moderators usually discuss such issues in private, but we needed information that only you can provide.

Strict moderation is a key feature of usingenglish.com. You've probably noticed that our forums maintain a much higher level of English than others. That's a direct result of our moderation policies.

Please don't take this personally. Bitter experience has taught us we have to keep our guard up. I hope you have a long and fruitful membership here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I haven't the foggiest.
I am not an IT technician.
I can't remember many details these days. I perhaps created the account when I was in Europe.

Don't take it personally, canadalynx. GoesStation has very eloquently explained why we have to be very careful on this site. Every post is "at the mercy" of the moderators and editors. We can open/close threads as we see fit, and when users have been asked multiple times to do something or to explain something, particularly in terms of their profile, and have failed to act or explain, we get suspicious.
I accept entirely that you might have created your account when you were in France, which would explain the provenance of the original email/IP. The fact that your IP jumped from France to the UK to Australia didn't make sense to us. It suggests that you are using a VPN but you would know if you were because you have to pay for it every month/year. I will reopen all your threads now.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
I'm sure it's uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of these discussions about a member's truthfulness. Unfortunately, we have to be vigilant against trolls and spammers. A couple of different suspicious signs in your membership — not your posts — led to legitimate questions. We moderators usually discuss such issues in private, but we needed information that only you can provide.

Strict moderation is a key feature of usingenglish.com. You've probably noticed that our forums maintain a much higher level of English than others. That's a direct result of our moderation policies.

Please don't take this personally. Bitter experience has taught us we have to keep our guard up. I hope you have a long and fruitful membership here.

Hi,

I understand your position. However, there are different ways to ascertain information than to resort to accusation. Of course, I am not talking about you. I do find it hard not to take it personally after some posts in other threads as well. I have not let fly at anyone personally but have stayed polite, unless being accused of something such as my background, language or the IP address? I did what I could and I am not an IT expert.

I do expect your team to have a better control over the language because of your status as native speakers and deemed professional or expert in this field. I don't
comprehend and am still appalled that the simple 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons issue could led to such accusation.

If you want to suss something out, please do it in a more appropriate and acceptable way.
Anyway, Thank you for your response.
PS Please don't take it personally.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For some reason, your account is stuck in "moderated" status. The buttons won't appear until that gets sorted out.

canadalynx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
For some reason, your account is stuck in "moderated" status. The buttons won't appear until that gets sorted out.

No worries.
You can leave it as it is.
I don't need those buttons to express my gratitude.

I am here to learn and improve.
Nothing else.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't need those buttons to express my gratitude.

Actually, it's really helpful for you to be able to use those buttons. It means you can simply click a button to say "Thank you", which is nice and quick for you as well as quick and easy for us to spot. It saves time for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.