Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello.

Does the bold text mean the guy was drunk every day for three years?

Just before the end of the London season they had walked the streets one hot night after a party, discussing the various theories of the soul's destiny. That afternoon they had met at the coffin of a college friend whose mind had been a blank for the past three years. Some months previously they had called at the asylum to see him. His expression had been senile, his face imprinted with the record of debauchery. In death the face was placid, intelligent, without ignoble lineation—the face of the man they had known at college. Weigall and Gifford had had no time to comment there, and the afternoon and evening were full; but, coming forth from the house of festivity together, they had reverted almost at once to the topic.

The Striding Place by Gertrude Atherton, 1895.

Thanks a lot.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since the text doesn't mention alcohol or drunkenness, you have no reason to think that's what the author had in mind.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
His mind was a blank and there was the record of debauchery on his face, so I thought it could refer to drunkness which can easily leave its mark on the face and mental state of an individual.

Thnks a lot for helping me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The next sentence says that his friends had previously visited him at an asylum so I assume that he had had mental health problems that led to their description of his mind as blank.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Notice also that the writing is in a highly stylized style. For instance, Gertrude says they met at a friend's coffin. The language should not be taken literally!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gertrude says they met at a friend's coffin. The language should not be taken literally!
I don't see any other way to take it. The friend had died after three years of debauchery. The people had met beside his coffin, presumably during a wake or a viewing.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is nevertheless a highly unusual turn of phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.