Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mandy is running a coffee shop but unlike other coffee shops here, she doesn't sell bottled fruit juices (apple juice, orange juice, etc).

The other day I asked her "Is it possible for you to sell some bottled fruit juices in your shop? In that case, we can take away the unfinished".

I've seen that many customers haven't finished the drink they'd ordered and finally they were dumped; it's such a waste.

Are my italic sentences natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mandy is running a coffee shop but unlike other coffee shops here, she doesn't sell bottled fruit juices (apple juice, orange juice, etc).

The other day I asked her "Is it possible for you to sell some bottled fruit juices in your shop? [STRIKE]In that case[/STRIKE] If so, we [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could take away [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] any unfinished drinks/bottles".

I've [STRIKE]seen[/STRIKE] noticed that many customers [STRIKE]haven't finished[/STRIKE] don't finish [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] their drinks [STRIKE]they'd ordered[/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]finally they[/STRIKE] the leftovers [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] get dumped; it's such a waste.

Are my italic sentences natural?

Note my changes above. With my corrections, your sentences would be OK. However, I don't know what the rules are where you are, but here no one is allowed to remove opened drinks (or half-eaten food) for hygiene reasons. Food rescue charities etc are only allowed to take unopened food and drink, or unsold loose fruit and veg. Are you hoping to take it away to share with charities or for your own use?

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grammatically, yes. Actually, are you serious? :shock:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I assumed it means take away your own juice that you don't finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I hadn't really considered that possibility! That's mainly because I assume everyone who buys a bottled drink at a café or restaurant would take it away with them if they hadn't finished it. You've paid for it, after all!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Silver say:

Mandy runs a coffee shop ...

Meaning: that's her job.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
......However, I don't know what the rules are where you are, but here no one is allowed to remove opened drinks (or half-eaten food) for hygiene reasons. Food rescue charities etc are only allowed to take unopened food and drink, or unsold loose fruit and veg. Are you hoping to take it away to share with charities or for your own use?

Yes. Many coffee shops here are selling bottled fruit juices. This means one can take away the unfinished drink and drink it next time when they want to. I also forgot to say that I went to Mandy's shop to attend that speaking club in the evening. Usually I don't like drinking much water in the evening. I'll take it away for my own use. My question is: in such a context, can I use the following corrected sentence now as a suggestion? Yes, unfinished food is dumped by the waiters there too.

"Is it possible for you to sell some bottled fruit juices in your shop? If so, we could take away any unfinished drinks/bottles".

Much appreciated!

Edited:

That's mainly because I assume everyone who buys a bottled drink at a café or restaurant would take it away with them if they hadn't finished it. You've paid for it, after all!

Right now in Mandy's shop we drink juice with the glass cups there. We can't take it away though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your amended question is grammatical but it is quite formal and rigid. I'd say to Mandy "Can you start selling bottles of fruit juice so we can take them away with us [if we don't finish them]? Thanks!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. Let me start over. I misunderstood the original and thus my previous response. First, Rather than "Is it possible........", I would prefer "Have you considered......". And second, I don't know of any "coffee shops" in the U.S. that would not allow a customer to take an unfinished, bottled/capped beverage with them when leaving..

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And second, I don't know of any "coffee shops" in the U.S. that would not allow a customer to take an unfinished, bottled/capped beverage with them when leaving..

Silver means that the drinks are not bottled/capped. That's the whole point (I think). That's why the customers don't take them away.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Silver means that the drinks are not bottled/capped. That's the whole point (I think). That's why the customers don't take them away.

Absolutely right. See below.

Right now, in Mandy's [strike]shop[/strike] café/restaurant, we drink juice [STRIKE]with the[/STRIKE] from glasses. [STRIKE]cups there.[/STRIKE] We can't take it away though.

Note my corrections above.

I imagine their reason for selling it like that is that they can buy the juice in bulk and then decant it into glasses when people order. Their profit margin will be higher and there will be less material to dump/recycle. If they buy individual plastic bottles or glass bottles, they won't know if the receptacles are being properly recycled when people take them away.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Dunkin Donuts nearby sells bottled fruit juice. (They also sell bottled water. Huh?) They also sell sandwiches. And they sell coffee. (It's good.) Oh yes! They sell donuts. (Yum!)

What did I not say?

Status
Not open for further replies.