• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Live, work, study and learn with the present perfect and progressive

The last time I was in a classroom (a long time ago) the teacher only asked one question at a time. Not six. And if a student had a question for the teacher they only asked one question at a time. Not six. Now there might be a follow up question, but still it's one at a time. That way you can focus on that question before you go to the next one.

When you load up a post with all the questions you can think of it makes it hard to follow. I think it's better for everybody if you ask one question at a time. (That makes it easier for the learners, I'm sure.)

Ask one question. Then go to the next one. Please!
    Not a professional teacher

Rachel Adams is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    The last time I was in a classroom (a long time ago) the teacher only asked one question at a time. Not six. And if a student had a question for the teacher they only asked one question at a time. Not six. Now there might be a follow up question, but still it's one at a time. That way you can focus on that question before you go to the next one.

When you load up a post with all the questions you can think of it makes it hard to follow. I think it's better for everybody if you ask one question at a time. (That makes it easier for the learners, I'm sure.)

Ask one question. Then go to the next one. Please!
    Sorry, if my questions were not clear or if I asked too many. I was so glad I finally understood where my misunderstanding was. I was wondering if my statements in post 13 are correct. I have read different discussions and explanations but none of them were as clear and easy to understand as emsr2d2's. I posted one of them again if it is not clear which post I am talking about. I am talking about this statement:

"Exactly! I made another mistake in my textbook which I understand now. "The builders have been building this house for 10 months." If I remember correctly the exercise asked to choose the tense which suggested that the action was ongoing.
    I mistakenly chose the present perfect instead of the progressive."

If I hopefully don't misunderstand the present perfect is not correct, is it? I am talking about the example about building the house.
    Last edited by Rachel Adams; 14-Apr-2021 at 04:47.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    "The builders have been building this house for 10 months."

If I hopefully don't misunderstand the present perfect is not correct, is it?
    That's right. You can't say The builders have built the house for a period of time. You need the continuous to describe an ongoing activity.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    That's right. You can't say The builders have built the house for a period of time. You need the continuous to describe an ongoing activity.
    the other question was about this explanation:

"If you were moving out of your childhood home imminently, and you're standing outside that house, you would say "I'm moving to a new house today. I lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it" or similar. As you can see, the simple past suffices there.
    The same goes for the day you leave a particular job - "I worked here for ten years and I loved every minute of it. I'll miss you all!"

Regarding this explanation I also wanted to say if the progressive is used in such examples as "the ground is wet it has been raining" or "my hands are dirty. I have been gardening." I thought I could use the present perfect progressive when talking about moving out of my childhood house and leaving your job to refer to any action which has been in progress and has just finished. I wasn't right, was I?

5jj is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

It is possible to say:

I'm moving to a new house today. I lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    I'm moving to a new house today. I have lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    I'm moving to a new house today. I have been living here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 14-Apr-2021 at 13:05. Reason: Fixed typo

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    It is possible to say:

I'm moving to a new house today. I lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    I'm moving to a new house today. I have lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    I'm moving to a new house today. I have been living here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    Thank you. So it depends on each native speaker. It's probably the same when leaving your job. Is it? "I have been working here for ten years. I'll miss you all!" One option is with the present perfect as emsr2d2 suggested and the other one is the present perfect continuous if I am right.
    I understand that everything depends on context but as a learner I was wondering if in the situations I was talking about either tense is grammatically correct.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 14-Apr-2021 at 13:06. Reason: Fixed typo in quote

5jj is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Full context is the main thing. I would probably use the present perfect non-continuous form in:

I'm moving to a new house today. I've lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    I've worked here for ten years and I've loved every minute of it. I'll miss you all.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm sorry if my questions were not clear or if I asked too many. I am glad I finally understand where my misunderstanding was. I am wondering if my statements in post 13 are correct. I have read different discussions and explanations but none of them were as clear and easy to understand as emsr2d2's. I posted one of them again. If it is not clear which post I am talking about, I am talking about this statement:

"Exactly! I made another mistake in my textbook, which I understand now. "The builders have been building this house for 10 months." If I remember correctly the exercise asks the student to choose the tense which indicates that the action is ongoing. I mistakenly chose the present perfect instead of the progressive."

If I hopefully don't misunderstand the present perfect is not correct, is it?

Please don't go there again. In fact, let"s forget we even visited that place.

I am talking about the example about building the house.
    I am still my first cup of coffee, so I am trying to get up to speed.

I do have one thought. Just as I don't speak every thought that comes to mind, I don't type every thought that comes to mind. (Maybe that's just me, but I don't think so.)

I am sure that you remember what you put in post 13 better than I do.

I suggest that you forget the phrase "understand mistakes". (We learn from our mistakes or we correct our mistakes.) You could say: "I understand why I made that mistake" but that's different.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 14-Apr-2021 at 16:45. Reason: Fix quote box

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

the other question was about this explanation:

"If you were moving out of your childhood home imminently, and you're standing outside that house, you would say "I'm moving to a new house today. I lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it" or similar. As you can see, the simple past suffices there.
    The same goes for the day you leave a particular job - "I worked heyourre for ten years and I loved every minute of it. I'll miss you all!"

Regarding this explanation, I also wanted to say if the progressive is used in such examples as "The ground is wet; it has been raining" or "My hands are dirty. I have been gardening." I thought I could use the present perfect progressive when talking about moving out of childhood house and leaving your job to refer to any action which has been in progress and has just finished. I wasn't right, was I?

That's the same as saying "I was wrong, wasn't I?" Is that what you mean to say?
    Quite a lot of work.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Full context is the main thing. I would probably use the present perfect non-continuous form in:

I'm moving to a new house today. I've lived here for twenty years! I'll really miss it.
    I've worked here for ten years and I've loved every minute of it. I'll miss you all.

The continuous and the present perfect indicate the same thing when used with some verbs such as "live" and "work" but are there other verbs or is it just these two verbs?

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last