• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Writing diary (English learning)

Hi everyone,

I have registered on this forum because I want to improve my English. The main reason for that is I must to have a language certificate (level B2) if I want to continue my academic career. I thought yesterday that if I want to progress fast in this matter, I must write everyday in English, using as much tenses as I could use, because only through regularly practise I will be fluent in English someday. So, starting from today, I'm going to write in this topic day after day, treating it like some kind of diary, only with the difference that I'll be share only there personal details from my life, which I will recognize worth of it.

Thank you for all your advices, correcting mistakes and help.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Writing diary (English learning)

Quote Originally Posted by mdzugaj View Post
    Hi, everyone.

I have registered on this forum because I want to improve my English. The main reason for that is that I must to have a language certificate (level B2) if I want to continue my academic career. I thought yesterday that if I want to progress fast in this matter, I must write everyday every day in English, using as much many tenses as I could use possible, because only through regularly regular practise practice will I will become fluent in English someday. So, starting from today, I'm going to write in this topic on this forum day after every day, treating it like some kind of diary, only with the only difference being that I'll be sharing only there the personal details from of my life no comma here which that I will recognize consider worthy of it including.

Thank you for all your advices advice and help, and for correcting my mistakes. and help.
    Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections above. We look forward to reading your daily diary entry. Please make sure you don't make them too long - the length of your original post is just about the right length.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I would advise you not to make an effort to use as many tenses as possible. If you do, your writing will almost certainly be unnatural. Try instead to write about things and activities that interest you, and use the tenses you think are appropriate.

tedmc is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Hi mdzugaj,

Welcome to the forum.

May I know what "language certificate with a level B2" is about? What level of education are you at and what do you aim to get into? Perhaps my questions would get you to have more practice in your writing.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

mdzugaj is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

tedmc,

thank you for your question. You're right. Because of you questions, I have more practise in my writing, but I'm glad you asked.

Generally speaking, level B2 in language means that you understand not only main threads in texts or discussions, but also you're able to formulate understable and detailed opinions on various topics, especially the ones which are the subject of your speciality.

You also asked about the level of my education. I have a master's degree and now I'm strugglig on PhD. I need this certificate to got doctorate.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

tedmc,

Thank you for your question. You're right. Because of you questions, I can have more practice in my writing, but so I'm glad you asked.

Generally speaking, "level B2 in language" means that you understand not only main threads in texts or discussions, but also you're able to formulate understandable and detailed opinions on various topics, especially the ones which are the subject of your speciality.

You also asked about the level of my education. I have a master's degree and now I'm struggling on getting a place to do my PhD. I need this certificate to got get a doctorate.
    I presume that is an internal exam of the university you are studying in. As far as I know, the universities in Malaysia ( I am from Malaysia too) only require students to fulfill the English language requirements (MUET, IELTS, etc) before they get accepted into undergraduate courses, but not postgraduate courses.

What field of study are you pursuing?
    Last edited by tedmc; 15-Apr-2021 at 06:46.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I'm study philosophy. I'm interested in German philosophy, especially Nietzsche's thought.

Today I woke up at six am. The first thing I did after get out of bed is to got dressed. After that, I went to the kitchen and started preparig myself a breakfast and boiled water on tea, Then, I got back to my room and sat down at my desk. I opened the book about English grammar and started learning. Sometimes I don't gave energy in the mornings, but I force myself to learn hard every day because only this way will lead me to achieve the most important goal for me at the moment, which is became fluent in English.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I'm study philosophy. I'm interested in German philosophy, especially Nietzsche's thoughts.

Today I woke up at six am. The first thing I did after getting out of bed is to got get dressed. After that, I went to the kitchen and started preparing myself a breakfast and boiled water on to make tea, Then, I got back to my room and sat down at my desk. I opened the book about on English grammar and started learning (studying). Sometimes I don't have energy in the mornings, but I force myself to learn (study) hard every day because only through/in this way will lead me to I achieve the most important goal for me at the moment, which is became becoming/to become fluent in English.
    Sorry, I was mistaken about your country of origin.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 15-Apr-2021 at 07:32. Reason: Added missing space

jutfrank is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I'm interested in German philosophy, especially Nietzsche's thought.
    This happens to be an area that I too have great interest in and considerable familiarity with. I don't envy the fact that you have to write on such a subject in a second language—this is difficult enough for me as a native speaker and teacher of academic writing.

Remember that the kind of English you'll need to do your doctorate is very different from the kind you need for everyday life. Would you like to practise by outlining the focus area of your doctorate? I'll be happy to guide you in your academic style and use of technical terms.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

jutfrank,

thank you for your post.

Fortunately, I don't have to write on such a subject in a second language. Nietzsche wrote somewhere that English isn't a language of philosophers and I agree with him to a certain point, at least if we speak about German philosophy. It is hard to write about Hegel's dialectic or Schelling's pantheism in language which is quite simple and don't like complex/long sentences. I will be writing in Polish, which isn't hard to me because I'm a Polish man.

If I want to get a certificate I need a language which is used in every day life. In tests you don't have academic topics but rather the pieces of texts from newspaper or popular books. You also must pass a speaking part of an exam, where you have to speak about you every day life. But, answering to your question, I'll be happy if you guide me in my academic style because I need this capacity too if I want to accomplish something in today's academic world.

If I may ask, why you're so interested in Nietzsche/German philosophy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last