In past times India's area was till Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In ancient times India's area was till Iran but it has decreased a lot since then because of the division of several nations that were once part of India(Bharat).

Please check my sentence. Is it correct?

Can "ancient times" be written as "past times" as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In ancient times, India's area was till Iran but it has decreased a lot since then because of the division of several nations that were once part of India space here (Bharat).

Please check my sentence. Is it correct?

Can "ancient times" be written as "past times" as well?

"Ancient" doesn't have a specific definition but it certainly suggests a really, really long time ago! How far back in the past are you talking about?

I don't know what you mean by the blue underlined part. Can you explain it in a different way? Why is "Bharat" in brackets and what is it exactly?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, what do you mean by "India's area"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Past times" is not used, and it can be confused with pastime(hobby). You can say a "period in the past" or "since a certain point in history" as in when civilisation started.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The territory under the country I presume.
You use "till" for time-related things, not for physical things. Land extends/covers up to a certain point/limit.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Ancient" doesn't have a specific definition but it certainly suggests a really, really long time ago! How far back in the past are you talking about?

I don't know what you mean by the blue underlined part. Can you explain it in a different way? Why is "Bharat" in brackets and what is it exactly?

I think I should have written "India's territory was as far as Iran". I worte Bharat to denote that I was talking about "Akhand Bharat" which translates to undivided India.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In ancient times India's area was till Iran but it has decreased a lot since then because of the division of several nations that were once part of India(Bharat).

NOT A TEACHER

1. Thanks for the informative post.

2. If I were to tell someone about that fact, I would say/write something like: "In ancient times, India extended as far as present-day Iran, but since then, several nations have been carved out of Bharat (greater India)."

Status
Not open for further replies.